Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dwarf Fortress: Ago Seducefungi and the Troll Patrol
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic View next topic
Bogo Sort
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Dwarf Fortress: Ago Seducefungi and the Troll Patrol Reply with quote

I've got some time off so I'm going to do another one of these. You'll remember our last thread, which chronicled the eleven year history of Fortress Tekkudnar (Pickraw). A whole year passed between when I started the topic and when it was finished, and during that time there have been many improvements to the game. In some ways it has been wholly transformed.

Hence a new topic. Maybe a year from now I'll finish this thread and there will be a bunch of new improvements to the game to try out.

The Tekkudnar topic can be found here: http://soaworld.rpgplanet.gamespy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=789
It provides a pretty good introduction to the game and what to expect from this thread.

The original seven dwarves have already been selected, but migrants should start showing up before the end of the year. If you want in, post a request in this thread.

On with the thread!

By 1050, three great dwarven kingdoms had been forged in the dry, hot, frumpled mountainous equatorial regions of Amethaathira. It was the end of the Golden Age, although no one knew it yet, and the Dwarves were interested in expanding their wealth and territory. Not so interested that they'd start building fortresses outside of mountains, but, hey, there must be mountains to the North, right?

One such dwarf was Sam Ducimlal.

Sam was a promising dwarven architect from the dwarven kingdom known as The Gears of Slaughter. Many of his design deas were challenged by the more conventional dwarven architects who were responsible for the overall layouts of the kingdom's fortresses. For a while, he considered defecting to one of the other two dwarven civilizations, but wasn't sure that his ideas would gain any more traction there than they did in his homeland. By 1048, Sam became convinced that the only way to implement his ideas would be to start from the ground up, with a whole new fortress. He bought a map from some human merchants and sought out the ideal spot for his masterwork.

Click to get the map. I took it off this page because it was too wide for the display on my desktop.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4352/worfmap2xf8.jpg

(The red circle is the fortress site. Mid-elevation mountains are pink, while high-elevation mountains are white.)

Sam's spot was a good choice in a lot of ways. It was in the mountains, for one. Nearby forests could supply lumber and herbs. It was adjacent to a freshwater lake which could provide drinking water, fish, and sufficient quantities of mushroom farm mud. The lake also offered aesthetic opportunities--there could be balconies extending off the edge of the cliff over the lake. Sam decided that there would be lots of balconies.

But convincing the rulers to allow him the expedition was more difficult. The nobles were skeptical of Sam's plan to build a fortress so far from the Mountainhomes. Sam's religion didn't help his case. Nobody wanted to put that much trust in a Starvecrazes worshipper.

Sam needed help getting his venture off the ground, so one morning he met with his friend Pyyk Asmelvush.

Pyyk was the fourth son of a well-established dwarven count, and had received some training in accounting and management. Pyyk spent his days working as a clerk, calculating all of the taxes owed to his mother and father and cataloging the names of all who had paid. He spent his nights hunched over granite slates, wistfully chiseling pictures into the rock. As the fourth son in his family, it was improbable that would ever become heir to the family title. Fortunately for Sam, however, the Asmelvush name itself received enough respect that Sam's association with Pyyk might help convince the nobility to support his expedition. Better yet, the Asmelvush family were renowned worshipers of Bot Youthfulsloppy, a deity favored by many dwarven traditionalists.

Secretly, Pyyk wasn't as devout as the rest of his family, but kept his lapse in faith hidden from his family and society at large. His status as an Asmelvush kept anyone from questioning his loyalty.

The expedition finally found support in 1050, and Sam and Pyyk needed to decide who to bring along on the journey. They soon found five others who were willing to join them.

The journey across the world was long, especially for a group of dwarves who had never left the familiarity of their desert homeland.

At last they arrived at a cliff overlooking a great lake.

It was evening. A light mist ascended from the lake waters.

They decided to call their new home Miskulet, "Hazeabbey."

Last edited by Bogo Sort on Sun May 25, 2008 5:36 am; edited 4 times in total
Bogo Sort
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first challenge for the intrepid adventurers was getting to the base of the mountain. Sam estimated that they were about 300 feet above the lake, and there didn't seem to be a safe way to climb down the cliffs.

Spazz Cilobshis was a miner recruited for the journey by his friend Pyyk.

While the rest of the dwarves were surveying ways to get to the base of the mountain so that they could unload their wagon, Spazz peered over the cliff edge to scope out what kinds of rock he would be digging through for next few years.

What he found interested him greatly.

He could see a thing line of yellow rock, indicating a limonite vein, sitting right at the edge of the cliff.

The end of a coal seam peaked out of the rock.

Bauxite and sapphires in the cliff, clot the beveled action tree. Or something like that.

If this kind of rock could be found sticking out of the edge of the cliff, Spazz could only imagine what waited for them inside the mountain proper.

When it became clear that there was no easy way down to the base of the mountain, Spazz proposed that they dig their way there. He'd start by digging a small passage into the cliff, then he'd dig a series of stairways down to the next flat piece of land, they'd move their camp there, and the process would start again, until they reached the lake. The process would take weeks, but it was safer than trying to jump 10 stories onto solid rock. Sam agreed, and Spazz started digging.

It was a thin passage, and two dwarves would be able to pass one another only if one were to lie down on the ground. It would take too long to make the passage wider; the dwarves had only the food they brought with them and whatever Aphal the fisherdwarf could thrash out of the pool of water at the top of the cliff. They had to get a farm set up as soon as possible.

Spazz cut into the rock while the rest of the dwarves dragged away the boulders that he left in his wake. Because of Pyyk's experience as an accountant, Sam put him in charge of managing the flow of rubble.

Weeks later, Spazz's pick struck through the boundaries of the cliff wall, 10 stories below where he'd started building his massive stairway. He was standing on a new patch of ground now.

There were still another 20 stories to descend before they'd reach the lake.

None of the desert-dwellers knew how to swim.
Spazz
S T E E L

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should build a dock there 20 stories over the lake just incase we need an airship to land.
I get by with a little help from my friends

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a character with the Hero Machine.
http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/heromachine2/heroMachine2.asp

Bogo Sort
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a 3D model of the mountain range and the surrounding lake.

I started by going through thmbnail images of each layer of the landscape, and using them to construct an elevation map in MS Paint. In this map, white indicates the heightest level (but not quite; more on that below) and the terrain gets successively darker as the elevation drops.

Blue indicates the lake water. In the game, there are smaller pools of water scattered across the cliffsides, but I didn't put them in the model because, well, because I had enough things to worry about already and seeing pools of water on the top of the mountain doesn't really tell you all that much.

With the .bmp prepared, I broke out my long-dormant C++ compiler and wrote a program to read in the height data from the files and export instructions in the POV-Ray raytracer script. My first attempt at this generated a model with 200,000 polys; the one you see above has substantially geometry components (although any game modeler would tell you that the model is still incredibly wasteful.)

The red dot in the picture is where the seven dwarves started, and the green dot is where they are now after two weeks of digging stairways. I'd like the main entrance to the fortress to be at the orange dot.

The diagram isn't to scale because there really isn't a good way to determine distances in DF. I've been using 1 vertical layer = 1 floor in the posts out of convenience because the distance seems to make sense in the context of the game, at least at the micro level. At the macro level everything has to be thrown out anyway, so the relative heights vs. depths are completely arbitrary here. The heights are probably exaggerated, though.

The "top" of the mountain you see there isn't really the top; I just didn't collect any data for any elevation above that level. It's not flat on the top; there's still a slope there. I could probably fix this without too much difficulty.

It looks like the "lake" isn't really all that impressive, but the lakefront space is actually pretty expansive when you look at it in-game. Still, I thought that I would get more. The terrain display heuristic in the game seems to display a tile as a lake if any part of it is a lake.
Bogo Sort
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grand descent to the base of the lake continued in earnest. While digging multiple flights of stairs, Spazz continued to discover all sorts of valuable gems and minerals:

While cutting into a transverse cliff in order to get a better angle of descent, Spazz stumbled upon a cliff face with both limonite and hematite.

There would be no shortage of iron at Hazeabbey.

Kassad, a carpenter and woodcutter, adopted one of the animals brought along on the expedition.

As the multiple stairways leading to the base of the mountain were built, the dwarves' base camp was continually moved further and further down the mountain in order to minimize the amount of time that the workers would spend re-climbing the mountain for food and drink. The wagon that the dwarves had brought with them was too wide to fit down the stairway, so it was dismantled for lumber. Soon the entire top part of the mountain was abandoned, except for a dwarf named Aphal Muthcatsiknug (Aphal Mansiondwelling).

Aphal, a worshiper of Savot Isethmishos (the god of rain and rainbows in The Gears of Slaughter's mythology), was one of the last dwarves recruited for the journey. Sam realized late in his planning that, as long as he was going to build a fortress over a lake, he should probably bring someone along who could pull fish from the water. Because the three great dwarven civilizations were limited to the arid desert regions of Amethaathira, dwarven fishing experts were not easily located. To help find one, Sam sent Pyyk out to one of the southernmost fortresses in The Gears of Slaughter, a fortress where fishing provided much of the food for its inhabitants. There Pyyk met Aphal.

Incidentally, Aphal had not always been a fisherdwarf. At one point he had been enlisted in the fortress guard, and was training with use of the sword. Aphal only became a fisherdwarf after he was discharged from his post and barred from future service.

Aphal was alone at the top of the mountain, fishing from a pond filled with turtles. Because he was alone and focused on his task, he didn't notice the pod of goats walking along the hillock until they got too close.

The goats seemed to be harmless, as long as nobody got too close. Aphal began to think about the goats. They would be a good source of food, to be sure, but Aphal had another idea.

He cornered one of the goats in hall adjacent to the massive downward stairway. He didn't have a cage or any other tools, but he knew that he was going to catch and tame the creature. Somehow.

The goat continued to flee, clamoring down the stairway until it reached a section of the passage that had been extended to get at a bauxite vein. The goat waited behind a boulder until Aphal passed, then reversed direction and hurried back up the stairs and ran away. The goat was never seen again.

In the late summer of 1051 there must have been a moment when Spazz the miner, deep inside a stairway tunnel of his own construction, struck his pick into the wall only to see the rock collapse in front of him, beckoning sunlight into the chamber and revealing the bright blue waters of the lake. He had done it: the half-year project to build a stairway to the base of the mountain was finally complete. At last the dwarves would be able to start working on the fortress proper.

Here's the path of the stairways. Use the mini-map on the right side of the screenshot. The light blue color indicates that there is open space on the map at the current z-level; i.e. the actual elevation at this point is below the part of the path that we're looking at in the given screenshot.

Each orange dot indicates a spot where Spazz had to dig a downward stairway. To trace the path of the dwarves, start at the end of the orange line that isn't connected to the orange dot, then follow that line to the orange dot. Then move to the next screenshot and repeat.

(the base of the mountain, the entrance to the fort)

A map of the base of the mountain can be found here:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8360/bottomfloorzy3.jpg
Spazz
S T E E L

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this program.
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kassad has weird tastes in clothes and not enough hair. That's because he keeps lighting the cigar with that torch.
EyeOfTheRaven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a Raven whenever you get more dwarves. I made the character with a bow, maybe he could be an archer?
Bogo Sort
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond making a simple empty entry hallway, the first order of business in mining out the interior of the mountain was to dig an underground farm to provide sustenance for the dwarven colonists.

However, by the start of autumn, only the barest fragments of work on the farm had begun. The food brought from the Mountainhomes was running out, and the alcohol that the dwarves had brought with them had already vanished. Without Aphal, the fisherdwarf, it seems likely that everyone would have starved.

In mid-autumn, a group of visitors from The Gears of Slaughter arrived at the budding fortress.

There were five in total: two merchants, two guards, and the town's liaison: Ustim Shadimzasit.

The merchants were astonished to find the fort in a state of disarray. There had been very little progress on the fort in spite of Sam's plans and vision for a lakeside fortress. Not a single room in the fort had been completed. No road led to Hazeabbey, so half the merchants destined for the site had to stay behind to watch the wagons, which could not be brought to the outpost. Worse, the merchants that could reach Hazeabbey ascended the mountainous slopes only to discover that the dwarves had not built a trading post.

Sam tried to assemble a makeshift trading post.

But it was too late. The merchants didn't want to risk waiting too long and freezing to death, so they turned around and headed toward warmer lands.

This was distressing for both the dwarves of Hazeabbey, who could have really used some of the goods the merchants had brought with them,

as well as for Ustim Shaditzasit, who was abandoned by the rest of the caravan because he wasn't able to work out a deal with Sam, who had been spending all of his time working on the trade depot instead of negotiating a trade deal.

It wasn't until after the merchants turned back that Sam and the liaison were able to meet.

No limestone had been found near the site, and neither had any other rock required for steel-making been discovered. This was a source of consternation given how rich the hills were in iron-bearing ores. Therefore, Sam decided to request calcite boulders of the next caravan, a request that greatly confused Ustim.

Sam also asked for some cow meat, which met with far more understanding.

The requests that the Mountainhomes had from the settlers were unusual to say the least. They apparently believed that, in this rainy, northern land, it would be easier to obtain large quantities of cheese for export, as this was the most important of the listed demands. The next most desired objects were plants, quivers, and large gems. The region's plants were certainly different from the scrub found in the rest of the Gears of Slaughter's fortresses. After Sam gave the list to Pyyk, Pyyk began to contemplate the idea of commercial herb-gathering.

Work continued on the fortress. Large sections of rock needed to be cleared for farming space, so Gyokuran was tasked with taking up the extra pick. After a few months, he started getting good at it:

When enough room had been cleared for the farm, Sam and his dubious knowledge of mechanical devices designed and built a lever-activated floodgate system.

There was just one problem. There was no way to get mud into the farm without digging through the rock wall to the lake, and whoever dug through the rock wall would risk drowning in the incoming flow. Kassad pulled the floodgate lever, opening up the passage that would soon lead directly into Basin Lake. None of the dwarves knew how to swim.

Spazz took a strong drink of Luigi's homebrewed Dwarven Wine, said a quick prayer to Ertal Goldtin, grabbed his pick, and strode into the passage.

After a few swings the walls collapsed. Cold water rushed into the passage.

Spazz paddled his way out of the channel, and didn't stop running until he was out of the farm altogether.

Had he dropped his pick in the channel, it would have been impossible to reclaim it and later mining projects in Hazeabbey would have been substantially delayed.

Kassad closed the gate, and the water in the farm drained into a sub-basement, leaving behind a thick coating of mud which Luigi set about converting into a mushroom farm.

Original plans had called for the farm to have been constructed by the end of the summer. It was now winter.

Most of the stockpiles and ad-hoc workshops had been built just outside the fortress entrance, as the internal areas for such things had not yet been mined out. While carrying some of the boulders that Spazz's mining activities generated to the gigantic piles outside, Gyokuran would sometimes catch a glimpse of some white-haired, sure-footed creatures bounding along the side of the mountain or drinking from the edge of the lake. These were mountain goats, and Gyokuran had never seen anything like them. He thought they looked a little like camels.

Gyokuran Pastcraft was recruited for the trip almost by accident. A worshiper of Enog, the god of festivals and revelry, Gyokuran had first met Sam at a party. Gyokuran later admitted that he had no recollection of meeting Sam or even attending the party, so when he ran into Sam a few days after the event he was forced to feign memory of how they had talked about starting a new fortress in the far north. Over the next few weeks the idea grew on Gyokuran, and he signed onto the expedition as the group's outdoorsdwarf and expert on flora and fauna.

One day a pack of goats charged through the base camp, braying loudly and scaring everyone away.

Aphal's earlier attempt to catch one of the goats had failed, but Gyokuran thought that he might be able to kill one. He hadn't been eating much other than fish in the last few months.

He gathered some of the lumber that Kassad had prepared and built a simple wooden crossbow. Then he took some of the leftover wood scraps and made some crossbow bolts. He spent the rest of the afternoon trying to sneak up on one of the goats.

He ambushed one of the creatures as it was drinking from the lake. The bolt he fired scraped against the goat's face.

His second shot was better-aimed.

The animal collapsed shortly after the second shot. Gyokuran bought it back to the base camp.

With the farm complete, it became possible to work on other parts of the fort.

Plans for bedrooms that overlooked the lake and had balconies were contemplated. These plans were especially fanciful given how Hazeabbeys had spent the whole year living without dining rooms, tables, chairs, or a well. But a new year was coming, and 1052 looked to be promising.
Spazz
S T E E L

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already have the ability to craft crossbows? How soon can Spazz start on her new vocation? Very Happy
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossbows can be crafted quite easily. All you need is some wood and a craftdwarf's workshop.

And probably Spazz can't pick up a crossbow for a few years. Too much to do until then.

In the Spring of 1052 another group of dwarves arrived in Miskulet, "Hazeabbey."

The official histories are silent on this particular fact, but the oral traditions hold that the migrants showed up at the outpost in the middle of the night, and that the original seven dwarves became aware of this development when they woke up the next morning to find the nine new arrivals crowded around the beds.

The influx of migrants brought a wealth of new questions for how the outpost would be managed. Chief among Sam's concerns was how the fortress would be able to feed all sixteen dwarves. Pyyk, who spent the last year keeping track of the expedition's supplies in his head, indicated that food supplies were already dangerously low. Food wasn't growing in the farm as quickly as the dwarves had hoped--perhaps their crops were better suited to southern caverns.

None of the new migrants had any direct experience in growing crops. One of the new dwarves, Ratman Velzefon, had been a grain thresher before coming to Hazeabbey, but that was as close as anyone got.

Another concern was how to manage the new influx of labor. The original seven dwarves had been selected very carefully based on their talents and temperament. The new arrives hadn't. No one knew them, and they didn't know each other. It took some time to even determine what each dwarf was capable of doing, and when even this bit of information could be found it became immediately clear that many of the migrants would have to be retrained and put to work on new tasks.

It seemed at first that the doubling of the population would at least put an end to the current Boulder Crisis, as more dwarves would be able to help carry boulders out of the fortress to make room for furniture. But even this view didn't come to pass. Half a year of non-stop boulder hauling resulted in no net reduction in the boulder population of the fortress; Spazz and Kilaghant were smashing up rocks a lot faster than the fourteen other dwarves could carry them away. No other real progress occurred during that year, so focused was everyone on getting rid of the rocks.

Gyokuran! Why you taking a break? You got rocks to move!

Typically dwarves take more breaks when they haven't had booze in a long time. I remembered seeing Gyokuran recently drink some of the wine that Luigi had brewed, however. At least I thought I had. I had to pull up his thoughts to be sure.

Go ahead and look at this one again:

Still don't get it? Check this out:

And here's his relationship screen:

And here are Aphal's thoughts:

You might as well stop reading here because nothing else in this post is going to be able to top those last couple shots.

In the mid-summer of 1502 Sam gave an order to expand the subterranean farm to allow more food production.

To shore up food, Gyokuran was removed from mining duty and assigned the task of hunting. No one remembered to issue him a crossbow, however.

By the time anyone noticed this problem, he had already captured a marmot with his bare hands and strangled it to death. It was then decided that there was never actually a problem after all.

Records from mid-1502 indicate frustration at how limited the last two seasons' progress had been. Only one bedroom, part of a dining hall, and an expansion on the farm had been dug. Only a handful of new tables and thrones had been crafted. Food supplies were dwindling in spite of the farm's contribution.
Spazz
S T E E L

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-I-S-S-I-N-G
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autumn began with the arrival of a group of merchants and the return of Ushat Shadowknife, the liaison from The Gears of Slaughter.

Even eighteen months after breaking ground at Miskulet, there was no road leading to the trade depot. Only a few merchants could make the trek up the mountains. The wagons had to be left behind. The calcite that Sam had requested a year earlier, which had been painstakingly loaded onto the wagons and then carted halfway across the world, had to be abandoned with the wagons. Even worse, Hazeabbey had not yet produced any trade goods suitable for export; Pyyk had put in an order months earlier, but the requirements of keeping the farm up and running, and dragging stone out of the mountain, had taken priority.

The merchants reported seeing a kobold scurry through some brush and undergrowth on their ascent up the mountain. Sam was concerned; the map he'd bought from the human traders didn't indicate that kobolds had settled nearby. The whole interior cliff area was supposed to be uninhabited.

Sam took some time out of his rock-hauling schedule to meet with Ushat. Last time they met, it was next to a halfway-constructed trade depot. Outside. In the rain. This time they were able to meet in Sam's bedroom, which at this point was a big empty room with rough granite walls that had a wooden bed in the middle of it and which overlooked the lake. It was a step up from the last year.

Meanwhile, Nutty was carrying a boulder out of the main entrance. Out of the corner of his eye he caught a glimpse of a lithe, gray creature huddled up against the edge of the cliff.

It was a kobold. Nutty yelled an alarm, and the creature bolted. Another creature, previously invisible to Nutty, jumped out from hiding and followed. Ramirez's dog chased after the kobolds as they escaped to one of the lake's peninsulas.

Back inside the outpost, Sam and Ushat were working out a trade agreement. Sam put in another request for the rock that would not be hauled up the mountains last month.

They wanted seeds and gems now. Both would be available by next year; the real challenge would be in constructing a road to the trading depot.

There were no goods for export prepared for the traders, so the rest of the dwarves scrambled to gather up whatever the fort could spare. The crossbow went, as did the rest of the arrows. Some of the turtle shell armor was hauled up to the depot. Unfortunately, it was too late. The dwarves spent too long deciding what they would trade, and the merchants left. This was the second unprofitable trading excursion in two years.

Just as the merchants were leaving, another group of migrants reached the mountain's summit.

This was another ten dwarves. Hazeabbey's population had reached twenty-five. Nineteen months ago it had been only seven. The inflow of new dwarves concerned Sam and Pyyk. In the past year, Sam hadn't really gotten to know any of the new immigrants. Now there were even more dwarves that he didn't know. He became concerned for the new society would manage itself.

Sam called the six other founders to a meeting in his quarters. There they decided that they would follow the dwarven tradition of electing a sheriff to enforce the law and keep watch on the eighteen people they weren't sure they could trust.

The exact reasoning for their selection isn't in the official histories that Pyyk kept, but historian Likot Berkulmet offered this explanation in his 1138 [i]Colonies of the Dwarven Kingdoms, 1018 to 1097[i]:

Likot Berkulmet wrote:
Sam was an architect and a mason more given to cerebral pursuits, and Pyyk, the fourth son of a nobleman, was practically the fortress accountant. Luigi would have been too busy training growers and managing the underground farm to worry the rest of the fort. Spazz was a miner in the early days of the fort: a time when digging out the basic structure of the outpost would have taken his full attention. This would have left Kassad, Aphal, and Gyokuran.

Incidently, Aphal and Gyokuran were the only dwarves living in Hazeabbey in that year who had any sort of combat training, as far as the histories indicate. Aphal was a disgraced ex-swordsdwarf who had conventional military training. He should have been the first choice for sheriff. That Gyokuran was ultimately elected to the post may weigh heavily on the fact that Aphal was more indispensable than Gyokuran. Gyokuran had been selected for the trip to Hazeabbey for his knowledge of plants and wildlife, which proved less than necessary for survival in the lake region. Aphal, on the other hand, was still providing substantial quantities of fish and turtle for everyone. Even though Gyokuran's combat training was limited to building and firing crossbows, he was selected over Aphal.

With Gyokuran as Hazeabbey's new Ranger-Protector, the dwarves set about making plans to survive the upcoming winter.

Last edited by Bogo Sort on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Bogo Sort
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortly after arriving, one of the migrants, an erstwhile miller who had been reassigned to working the fields, started acting strangely.

He had become possessed by fey spirits. This was not an uncommon occurrence in the Mountainhomes, but it was something of a surprise for the inhabitants of Hazeabbey as no one knew if these spirits lived in this part of the world.

Bog Sakzuldishmab appropriated a craftdwarf's workshop, some boulders, and some turtle bones for his project.

Several weeks later he emerged from his exile with a masterpiece toy forge.

To facilitate better records-keeping and overall management, three offices were constructed for the fortress's administrators: Pyyk, Sam, and Gyokuran.

The first task undertaken in the offices was to assemble a record of all of the dwarves living in Hazeabbey:

Knot the Dwarf doesn't have any friends:

After many months of hauling rock, Hazeabbey finally reached the point where there was no more rock waiting to be hauled. To celebrate, Sam designed a system of wells that so many of the dwarves had been requesting.

Above ground (not shown), the well room would be an enclosed chamber with holes spaced periodically in the floor. Below this room (shown in the image), would be another room with a channel leading to the lake. Two floodgates were to be placed in this room: one in the channel between the lake and the room, and one between the room and the rest of the fortress to prevent all of the water from spilling out.

Ratman Velzefon was tasked with installing the first floodgate. Unfortunately, he stood on the wrong side of the channel as he was installing it, so that when the gate was in place he was trapped inside the channel.

Floodgates aren't like doorways; they don't have doorknobs and can only be opened using sophisticated mechanical systems, none of which were available in the tiny room where Ratman was trapped.

Apparently everybody forgot about Ratman for some time, because he remained trapped in that room for several weeks while everyone else went about the business of running the outpost. By the time that Sam tore down the floodgate, Ratman was starving, nearly dehydrated, and crawling around on all fours. He was brought food and drink and then recovered.

1053 had arrived. 1052 saw no casualties, substantial increases in farm productivity, construction of enough beds for everyone (if not enough bedrooms), the creation of a masterpiece toy anvil, the blossoming of true love between an errant fisherdwarf and a gentleman-ranger, and the construction of a pretty nice dining room where all of the dwarves liked to gather.

Early in the year a group of elves set foot on the crest of the mountain above Basin Lake.

Bog had produced a number of stone crafts designed for export, but they could not be brought up to the trading depot quickly enough, and by the time they got there Sam was too busy to go meet the elves and negotiate a trading deal. The elves left with the same goods they'd brought to Hazeabbey.

Sam then decided that changes would need to be made. As the expedition leader, the fortress's architect, the primary mason, and the chief mechanic, he was already too busy to be the outpost's broker. He assigned this job to another dwarf:

A steady stream of migrants arrived during the spring. At the start of 1053, Hazeabbey's population was twenty-five. By the end of the spring, it had ballooned to over forty. Hazeabbey was no longer a mere outpost; it now qualified as a hamlet.
Bogo Sort
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to show you more pictures of the fort but I never got around to it.

These pictures come from exported images taken after creating the offices in the last post but before creating the well rooms.

Here's the "main level" of the fort and the surrounding lakeside/mountainside.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9379/mainfloorcutdownjj4.png

Here's a floor that's one level above the main floor. It's got bedrooms in it. These bedrooms are directly above the other bedrooms on the main floor.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9725/bedroomswiprz9.png

Here's the floor just below the main floor. It's got most of the farm room. The farm is positioned just below the dining room.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6351/subfarmit8.png

This is the sub-farm. It was originally created so that excess water flowing into the farm would have be able to drain, but then after this room dried it became suitable for farm plots too. Also there's a fishery down here because I needed to put it somewhere and it didn't make sense to have to carry fish all the way from the food stockpiles to the fishery outside.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6238/farmchamberak3.png
Bogo Sort
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been too long since my last update. I'm skipping over a period of something like 6 months of game because the screenshots are old and I don't remember what they're supposed to mean anymore.

This shot should summarize what happened during those six months:

There was another wave of migrants. With more and more colonists, Miskulet seemed less like a lone outpost far to the north of the dwarven homelands and more like a permanent village. Rather than being the leader of an expedition, Sam became the mayor--the first mayor of Miskulet, actually. Gyokuran also received a promotion: he was now the captain of the village's guard.

With Sam's new mayoral power, he demanded a better office and bedroom. Also he wanted a private dining room.

The two children of the fortress, Shinzo and Belmont, became fast friends.

Who knows what kind of mischief they will get into over the course of their advenures.

Another friendship formed between an out-of-work weaponsmith named Rainier and a farm worker named Sakura.

A third friendship formed between a wrestler named Finlay and his sparring partner, Slider.

Another dwarf named Finlay (this one a metal crafter) became possessed by Fey spirits and took over an under-utilized forge.

By the estimates of Maark, Hazeabbey's chief broker, the chain that Finlay produced was worth more than twice as much as everything else in the village put together, including the mountain halls and passages themselves.

Mayor Sam used his administrative muscle to ban the export of scepters. No one is quite sure why he did this, although Sam's fondness for scepters and scepter-related iconography may have played a part in the decision.

In the winter of 1053, a new project was started. Carrying trade goods up to the trade depot on the top of the mountain required taking the path established by Spazz the miner back in the Spring of 1051. the 1051 path was created in such a way so as to minimize the amount of digging needed to reach the edge of Basin Lake. It was therefore largely limited to a series of vertical stairways cut into the sides of the cliffs. While the original seven reached the base of the mountain sooner, their path was unnecessarily long and circuitous.

Therefore a new path would be made. This one would be a direct route from the heart of the fort to the top of the mountain. It would cut directly through the mountain, with no need to go "outside" in order to complete the trek. Thirty stairways would be placed intermittently along the path to facilitate ascent, although in time the stairways might be replaced with ramps to allow for gradual ascent.

The bottom of the passage opened at the north end of Hazeabbey.

When the passage was completed in the spring of 1054, the top opened next to a pool by the trade depot. Immediately Sam began thinking about running a series of pipes alongside the passage, but the amount of metal required seemed prohibitive. There was plenty of iron in the form of Limonite nearby, but without a consistent supply of heat the ore could only be extracted using charcoal, and there was a limit to how much charcoal they could obtain. The dwarves were already importing most of the lumber used to make beds.

Attempts to domesticate the local goat population were so far unsuccessful. The only animal that the dwarves had managed to capture was a rat.

The rat died within a week.

In the Spring of 1054, a bone crafted named Kat became possessed in much the same manner as Bog and Finlay.

There were two births in Hazeabbey that Spring.

Silver, the daughter of Crash and Kickflip and younger sister to Shinzo, became came the first dwarf to be born in Hazeabbey.
Bogo Sort
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kobold thieves continued to harass the inhabitants of Miskulet throughout 1054. None of the thieves managed to sneak off with anything, but tensions within the village were high nonetheless.

Another artifact was produced that year.

In mid-spring, a group of human traders and some guild representatives brought their wagons to the trading depot. They stayed at the site for months while trading commenced and future trade agreements were fleshed out.

Near the end of Spring, a fisherdwarf named UV was walking to the stairway near the cliffs west of the village's main entrance. There, hunched in the stairway's overhang, was a goblin dressed in leather armor. He was holding a cloth sack. This must have been particularly surprising given the dwarves' belief that this general region of Amethaathira was supposed to be uninhabited.

The militia was rallied to the western edge, but the goblin was already fleeing. Far to the north, a second goblin crawled down the long hall that stretched from the top of the mountain to the heart of Hazeabbey.

This was Olngo Basasnungo, the leader of a local goblin town. He was also lightly armored and carried a similar sack. While the militia was chasing after the first goblin, Olngo was attempting to sneak into the fortress. Had it not been for the presence of the human traders Olngo might have made it into Hazeabbey's urban center, but some dwarves happened to be carrying trade goods up to the depot at the time. They spotted Olngo and sounded the alarm. His cover lost, Olngo fled up the passage. As soon as he out of the passage, the human merchants' guards noticed him and fired volleys of arrows in his general direction. One hit Olngo's leg.

Olngo tried to crawl away from the guards, but they moved much faster than he did. The guards closed on the goblin and lashed him to death with their iron chain-whips.

The mood in Hazeabbey immediately turned sour. There weren't supposed to be any goblins inside the mountain ridge. There wasn't supposed to be anything--Sam said that he made sure the area was empty when he was planning the expedition. The kobolds were a nuisance, but goblins posed an actual threat. Worse, the goblins had learned the location of Hazeabbey. Most shocking of all were the sacks that the goblins carried with them, for the creatures were child snatchers intent on kidnapping dwarven youths for their own grim and twisted purposes.

The dwarves decided that they didn't want Sam to be mayor anymore. Instead they elected Maark Otamurvad.

Maark was a butcher turned trader who immigrated to Hazeabbey in 1052. Maark had negotiated a lucrative trade deal with the mountainhomes in 1053. As part of the wave of immigrants in 1052 he had no connection to the original seven founders. Sam, meanwhile, took Maark's position as the village broker.

In late Spring, Mayor Maark signed a trade agreement with the human representatives.

In the summer, a group of dark gnomes wandered inland from the lake peninsula and started harassing everyone.

The ranger Gyokuran took care of them without further incident.

By Fall of 1053, the pressures of leadership were starting to take their toll on the new Mayor.
Bogo Sort
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throughout 1053, it is not untypical for powerful odors to be present in the lower levels of the fort.

Though the farm was productive, lack of sufficient storage space mean that foodstuffs were sometimes misplaced and forgotten about.

In the winter, Galc the engraver noticed a kobold thief skulking around the fort. The kobold retreated before the militia could be called up.

A week later, Mayor Maark was strolling down the corridors when he saw a gray outline creeping into the treasure room.

Maark sounded the alarm, and the militia charged to the defense of the fort. Of all the guards, Slider was the closest to the treasure room, so she was the first to follow the thief up the Long Hallway up to the surface.

Moments later, a second kobold emerged from the treasure room. This one was carrying Rumadazol, the masterwork tin chain worth almost as much as everything else in the village.

The first kobold emerged from the Long Hallway through a secret passage onto a mountain ledge about fifteen stories above the rest of Hazeabbey. Here he cut across a short passage and escaped into the wilderness.

The second kobold was killed Finlay the speardwarf. Rumadazol was recovered and the dwarves rejoiced.

In the coming months, Maark ordered some adjustments to fortress security. All of the entrances leading to the treasure room were closed off, save one. The secret passage leading to the edge of the cliff would have to be fenced in, and discussions were held on ways to block off the Long Hallway to keep out spies and invaders.
Bogo Sort
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bridge was built on the southern end of Miskulet. It was an elevated bridge, suspended from each end by a thick stack of rocks and accessible on each side by a stone ramp. Sam had designed it.

In the winter of 1054 a group of goats, doubtless searching for food, stepped across the bridge.

On the other side of the bridge were an array of cage traps. One of the goats was snared by the trap.

Mei, a former animal trainier, was put in charge of domesticating the goat, and the other goats that fell into the traps later that winter.

A peasant named Vecdran, whom no one suspected of having any useful skills, produced an amulet of considerable value on a whim.

There were two births that winter.

In the first month of 1055, the elven caravan returned to the top of the cliff.

Later that day, when a fisherdwarf named Patduff was hanging around the lakeside when he was ambushed by a group of goblin marauders.

There were seven of them. Six had maces; one was armed with a war hammer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: