Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Better Arcadia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia
View previous topic View next topic
Treilance
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

Location: Illuminati Headquarters (Planing New World Order parking spaces)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: A Better Arcadia Reply with quote

Though the outlook is dim for a Skies Sequel, letís brainstorm improvements that could be made for a Sequel or even a total remake. I have some ideas:

Sub-party - in addition to the party of the main characters, the player can choose up to two Crew members to join on a Sub-party when they venture from the ship. The effect the Sub-party has on the Party can differ. Some can have their effect activated in battle. Others can affect such things as the prices in a market. Some Sub-party members can be called in to battle (though theyíll only have one or two minor S. Moves)

Shipwright Ė thatís right! In addition to Ship Parts Stores there should also be Shipwrights who buy and build ships. The player can sell his ship for an enormous amount of gold and then buy a new ship. Of course, if he is REALLY wealthy (and his Base has certain additions), then he could just buy a second ship. Different ships have different properties in battle and on the field according to their design. Different ship parts are compatible with different types of ships. Some ships have a higher storage space while others are faster and more evasive. Also S. Cannons are buyable in the Ship Parts Stores.

Profiteering - most enemies no longer drop gold, thus the player's main methods of collecting revenue is through Discoveries, Bounties, and Profiteering. There is now a category of items: Goods. They can be obtained and bought through different ways but the overall purpose of Goods is to sell them at ports. But you donít just sell them for whatever the merchant offer, you have to haggle. Goods usually have an average price range, when you sell them to a merchant, heíll usually offer a price below that price range and you try to raise it. But thereís more to it. At every port, Goods have a Demand Value that you can look at in the Sailors Guild. If a certain type of Good has a DV of 1, then it can be haggled up to its average price range, but if it has a Value of 2, then it can be haggled up to two times its average price range. The Demand Value of a Good varies from place to place, Ice could have a value of 0 (no one will buy it) in Valua and a value of 10 in Nasr. Buying something like Sky-Worm Silk for cheap in Yafutoma and selling it in Valua for a profit can provide good funds for such things as new airships. Of course Demand can be changed for good or ill by certain events, the playerís Swash Buckler rating, or even Sub-Party members. Of course, merchants arenít made of gold, even if the Demand is high he might not be able to afford your goods.

Plunder Ė most enemies donít drop gold, but that doesnít mean you canít make gold off them. When you win a battle on foot you can choose to Plunder an enemy, which will net you Goods and gold (rarely). However there is a limit to how many Goods you can carry on foot in a dungeon before you have to drop them off in your ship. Ship Battles also have to opportunity for plundering but the option is like the S. Cannon and depends on your skills as a captain to be available (donít sink the ship!).

Better Combat - Iíd also like battles to be more interesting. Something like you can see when enemies are targeting your characters and have them react to that. Say if Monster A is targeting Player B, you can have Player A attack Monster A, Player A will attack Monster A and take damage for Player B if Monster A isnít killed. Or you can set party members to guard and take damage for one another. Maybe a Turn-based Dimension Battle System would work where you choose how your characters move on the field.
I get by with a little help from my friends

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more to-scale world. You could fly around the world in 30 seconds, doesn't feel so big.

A better combat system too, maybe a mix of turned-based and RTS elements, alowing you to tell your party where to go on the playing field so that you could do things like run away from enemies, cover from projectiles, and attack at oppertune angles.

Ship battles would also be nice to improve so that they'd didn't feel so on-rails. For example, if during each turn you could choose to keep going straight, or come to a stop, climb, dive, make turns, etc.
EyeOfTheRaven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to board ships during ship battles. Explore the ships, that'd be sweet.

Decorations. Maybe I've been playing Animal Crossing too much, but it'd be cool to decorate not just buildings at your base, but your room too. Custom designs for buildings or your flag would be a nice addition too.
Treilance
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm toying with the idea of making a fan game with the new RPG Maker program when it comes out.
S T E E L

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More eye candy.
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spazz wrote:
More eye candy.

Like seeing a pod of arcwhales while flying?
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Control 2 + Airships + A more fleshed-out ship-to-ship combat system to allow actions like boarding and firing grappling hooks at suckers and taking smaller ships and flying around the masts of larger ships with tow cables to tangle up their rigging so they tip over.

That's what it needs to be.

Oh, and if they could do some more stuff with crew management that would be pretty cool I don't know
EyeOfTheRaven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'd be cool if you could select crew members to join you in battle. Instead of Enrique, how cool would it be to fight with Lawrence or Khazim?
Fenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely expand on the ship-to-ship battle sequences.

Firstly I'd like to see more of them in general. It felt like there were so few repeatable encounters in the game - and those that did respawn, quickly became cannon fodder as you leveled up. So in addition, I'd also like to see most of the enemy ships keep reasonable pace with the player's level. Perhaps even a random enemy level generator to occasionally make them a little stronger then the player at any given level...

I had similar thoughts to Fina about taking the battles off rails a bit. Replace the Evasive Action command with a Navigation command instead. That would open up a list of various navigational options, including the evasive action. I think this should have a huge impact on the battle, since it would really influence how vulnerable you are for attack as well as how good a sight your guns have on the enemy.

The ability to fight more than one ship at a time would also be pretty neat. You'd have to work to effectively divide your fire across multiple targets each round. Combining that with the previous suggestions about mid-battle course changes could make for a really intense fight!

Expand on the concept of battle damage. In addition to cosmetic appearances, ship stats and functions should also be altered. Perhaps speed/maneuverability would drop, or even one or more cannons would be out of commission. To go along with this, when a dramatic event occurs (like the loss of a key system) an option could become available (after a round or two) to shift from the battle outside to repair work inside. Crew would be frantically scurrying about trying to repair the ship and the player could do the same - perhaps by playing mini-game-esque things or directing repair efforts. As long as the player remains inside, the ship's lost systems will repair faster - but at the cost of the ship's overall HP. I would think the HP drain would have to be small though, to keep things somewhat balanced. Additionally, for that to work, we would of course need more extensive interiors for the ships. Smile

Outside of the battles, one needed improvement would be smaller clipping boxes for the ships. Getting caught on terrain you're not visibly colliding with is annoying.
Treilance
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this topic is old but it's mine so I figure what the hell.

After seeing the combat system of Valkyria Chronicles, I got thinking about a better combat system for Skies. Now I know a dungeon crawler wouldn't play so well with the tactical system of VC, but some aspects such as the effect of having two characters target the same enemy on the battle field could make Skies more interesting.

How about distance on the field also plays a role in attack priority. Some characters can only attack from a distance. Some can only attack up close. And some have the option of doing either.

For example, Vyse would be melee, Gilder would be distance, and Aika can attack at nearly any proximity.

Suppose they were in a battle against two human opponents. One had while the other used a gun. Vyse and Aika target the melee opponent. Vyse can attack the melee fighter, but there's a chance he'll be blocked or counter attacked depending on reflex stats during the turn. However Aika attacks the same melee fighter from a distance which means that she can attack him unblocked. In addition this allows Vyse to hit the melee opponent without being blocked. Meanwhile Gilder doesn't attack but he's instructed to target the gun opponent which prevents him from attacking Vyse.

Okay, it needs some work, I haven't quite figured it out for the on foot mechanics.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is a sequel you're brainstorming, I would include a more in-depth storyline behind the 7th moon and civilization. Like, what the civilization was like in the Old World before it was destroyed by whatever destroyed it (Dark Rift/ Rains/ etc).

Course, as a fan of the Black Moon, I'm a little bias lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: