Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Virginia Tech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic View next topic
Feline Witch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Virginia Tech Reply with quote

Im sure all of you have heard about the massacre at Virginia Tech, and Im wondering how you guys feel about it.

Firstly, I was revolted at how easy it is for any pyshopath with an axe to grind, to legally aquire weapons. There is no real limit in "One gun per month". I have noticed that there are many people are already blaming violent videogames and movies (while the Oldboy reference is noticable, I feel that Seung-Hui Cho was a very unstable mind, and would have done this massacre, violent movies/videogames or no)

Nowadays, i am always irritated by people's eagerness to blame gun crime on violent videogames. The mentality seems to be

Real Gun = Americans have a god given right to have one
Virtual Gun = Evil, dangerous and a poisonous influince on the mind

Recently in South East London, where I live, there has been a massive turf war between rival gangs, and various young males are being knifed to death in an ongoing struggle, and there seems to be new fatalities every day in the London papers. While I feel if guns are blanned, or at least RESTRICTED decently, people will turn to knives more, but if you restrict guns, it will be a lot harder for any lunatic to buy a gun and shoot up a school. I think if Seung Hui was only able to get his hands on a knife, he would not have been able to kill nowhere near as so many people.

It seems puzzling that someone who spent an incarceration in a mental hospital was accepted back into mainstream campus so easily, and even more so was so easily allowed to purchase arms,and teachers and students reporting bizzaire and disturbing behaviour were ignored.

Well thats my two cents on it. What do you guys think?
Kassad
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mantra
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone wants to buy a gun, they are going to find a way to buy a gun.
Spazz
S T E E L

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the United States, the first 10 amendments to the constitution are called the Bill Of Rights. Unlike the English bill of rights which is aimed mostly for parliament-crown relations, the United States bill of rights exists to make sure the power of the government cannot in any way take advantage of the people.

The 2nd amendment is the right to keep and bear arms. This serves many purposes. However, the original intent was to make sure that weapons would be in the hands of the citizenry as well as soldiers, because the easiest population a dictator can control is the population that cannot fight back.

Whether or not Cho acquired his handguns legally would not have made any difference at Virginia Tech. The fact that he sent that media package to NBC proves that his actions were premeditated.

As far as crime and video games:

Reported violent crimes have fallen dramatically in the USA since 1993.
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

Location: Illuminati Headquarters (Planing New World Order parking spaces)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did Cho acquire his weapons? I know that it wouldn't make a difference to Virginia Tech but if he was able to purchase one right off the market than that means that something needs to change. Now outright banning guns is kinda out of the question. But if a person with Cho's background can only acquire guns through illegal means, then at least we'd have a way to uncover illegal operations.
S T E E L

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What background? He was sent to see the school counsellor, and he had two speeding tickets.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treilance wrote:
But if a person with Cho's background can only acquire guns through illegal means, then at least we'd have a way to uncover illegal operations.

I really don't see how that would help us uncover the black market of firearms. I live in Massachusetts and I know for a fact that if I wanted to, I could go to Worcester (2nd largest city), which is a short drive, and buy a gun out of some guy's trunk. I know people that have done it. How are they gonna track that?

This kid had been planning this for months. They said he had been preparing everything well in advance, at least the purchase of the weapons. If you want weapons, you just need to know where to look.

I think the worst thing that happened, worse even than the shooting itself, was the airing of the "package" he sent to NBC. By doing that, an insane murderer's will was enacted. His message was spread. NBC should've called the FBI and had it locked away. By airing it, I think people are going to be moved by it and repeat what he's done, or at least try. Maybe not anytime soon, but there will be repeats. He got away with by dying and then his final wish was granted. How could NBC be that cruel? I'm aware that the package is a HUGE news story but there has to be a line, there's a point where selling a story is less important than its consequences.
Feline Witch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spazz wrote:
What background? He was sent to see the school counsellor, and he had two speeding tickets.

He had spent fifteen months ina mental asylum for stalking women.

Actually he seems to hae a long series of strange behaviour. Throughout his childhood, his family had noticed he was quiet, and never seemed to display any affection. His grandmother also said tht while her other grandkids would rush up for her, he barely spoke to her.

His teacher said his writings had the hallmarks of a very disturbed and dangerous mind, and he also displayed a long series of behaviour, and likewise rarely spoke to anyone, and shrugged off or ignored all forms of contact.
Luigi
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
12:31:56 <+Luigi> man
12:32:11 <+Luigi> I feel bad for the people at VT; the news media just won't leave.
12:32:26 <+Luigi> fuckers
12:35:02 <+Ratman> yeah Sad
Mantra
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Virginia Tech shootings, which left 32 victims and gunman Seung Hui Cho dead, have given rise to a legislative proposal in Congress to tighten background checks on firearms purchasers with a history of mental illness such as that suspected in Cho.

Cho, the 23-year-old student who went on a shooting rampage a week ago, was able to buy two pistols and ammunition even though a judge in 2005 declared him a danger to himself and ordered a psychiatric evaluation.

A federal law passed in 1994 bans the sale of handguns to people with a history of mental illness. Gun dealers are required to use an FBI-maintained database to check buyers' backgrounds.

Virginia is one of 22 states that submit mental health records to the FBI. Under its own guidelines Virginia didn't submit Cho's name because he wasn't involuntarily committed to a mental institution, Gerald Massengill, a retired Virginia State Police superintendent, said Sunday on NBC's Meet the Press.

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said on Fox News Sunday that he's co-sponsoring legislation to beef up background checks. The proposed law would give states financial incentives to include people with documented histories of mental illness in the database.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-04-22-vt-gun-law_N.htm
kickflipthecat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to kill someone, you will kill them if you're willing to pay a hefty price for it. If you want to kill fifty people, you can head down to DC or Baltimore or whatever city VT is close to and buy a semi-automatic rifle. The kid from Paduca was selling guns he stole from his Dad's closet weeks before he flew off. If you want to do major damage, you can find plans for a pipe bomb on the internet (you can probably find some on wikipedia). This guy knew that his life (at least outside of prison walls) would end soon.

Putting guns in the hands of teachers and students isn't a good idea because it makes it difficult to find out who was the instigator, who was trying to be a hero, and who caught who in friendly fire.

Banning guns won't do anything because the black market is probably a lot more lucrative than the clean market and that would just have a greater effect.

The best thing you can hope for is shooter winging someone and then, realizing what they're about to do, stop completely. Obviously, with a lunativ like Cho, that probably wouldn't happen, so you get better protective measures. None of these untrained and incompetent fatasses protecting the campus.

That's my two cents. In all honesty though, shootings don't occur too often and often have very few causalties. With the time we waste figuring out new rules like "No opaque liquid containers in school" (which is now enforced at my school despite the fact that first period reveals eighty percent of kids carrying Dunkin Donuts cups), we could be trying to prevent other ways of killing students, like selling crack to the popular kids.

Nothing Lasts... But Nothing is Lost
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: