Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SoA Model Converter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia
View previous topic View next topic
Icetigris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone remembers me from about 4 years ago, but I was Icetigris back then too (remember the Pirate Fina cosplayer and the term paper?). Anyway, I'm a graphics programmer now and I'm going to (hopefully) do a 3D game engine for my senior design project. Is there a place to download the exported character models in some basic format like 3ds or obj? I use 3ds Max 9 and I'd like to play around with the meshes without downloading the whole mod.
Galcian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Aika Model Reply with quote

I thought I'd show the result of the Aika model I made in 3Dmax. This is my first character model, which is why it took me so long. Thanks to all for the textures. I was a bit surprised how Overworks was able to get such textures to look so good, but they made good references for the new textures I made. I also made Aika's starting weapon from scratch. I hope to add more detail and figure out how to do rigging when I'm not so deathly busy. Maybe I'll even get time to do some more characters after I finish my master's in level design. If anyone knows where to find some good tutorials on 3Dmax rigging that would be great. ~ Thanks again to everyone

QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

Location: Illuminati Headquarters (Planing New World Order parking spaces)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty good, I'd almost go as far to say that it looks even better than the game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galcian:

The Aika model is very good. Obviously, a much higher poly count than the game model (which is around 900 or so...). I, too, am continuously surprised at how good the textures look, despite being low resolution. I use the original delphinus textures as references in my re-makes, and they still look better. I guess I need to work on my shading skills a bit. Smile

As for the rigging tutorials... You need to work on your google-fu.
Start HERE.

Icetigris:

I made it a point a long time ago (about when I went into Beta testing on ExMLDNet) not to provide the models and textures, but rather, give the same instructions to everyone :

1) Find an uncompressed ISO of Skies of Arcadia : Dreamcast
2) Download ExMLDNet (http://kryslin.silvite.com)
3) Start looking for .nj and .mld files.
4) Extract away to your heart's content.

ExMLDNet extracts to Wavefront OBJ and Milkshape's ASCII formats. If I can figure out the dotXSI and X ascii formats, I'll be adding them, too. I've figured out most of the Maya ASCII format and how to make a model in it, but getting the model to display is another thing entirely...

Steve
Cuckooguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kryslin, do you know anything about Global Illumination for Renderman for Maya? There's a Renderman Environmental Light that makes things look nice for an outdoor environment, but I made an indoor environment and it's a nightmare trying to get this thing to look right... from what I can tell it's impossible because the indoor environment is enclosed so there's no light to get bounced except darkness, and Renderman doesn't seem to be able to apply photons to lights since that's a mental ray thing.
Kryslin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to use global illumination if at all possible. It's reallly, really slow rendering. Instead, I cheat, and add an occluding light to the scene; This simulates a certain amount of light in the scene, and how much is occluded to by objects, and often looks better than irradiance or global occlusion...

The table and chairs posted way up thread use this.

Take a point light, and assign an occluding light shader (if you can) to it. Specify a color (1,1,1) and multiplier (.3-.4 is a good ambient light) and render...

Renderman (and REYES renderers in general) can use photons for caustics and transmission rays. It's a bit of a pain to set up and use, though...

Steve
tSlater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to create a Valua-inspired city in Sim City 4 using a collection of custom content. I know it is easy to create SC4 models out of 3ds files. Are any of these publicly available for conversion into Sim City BATs?
Kryslin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they're not publically available. You'll have to go through the same steps as anyone else; this includes finding an uncompressed image of the dreamcast game, download with converter, and start having fun. Milkshape 3D is recommended for converting between formats, unless you have in import plugin for 3dsMAX...

Steve
tSlater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, in this case it may be easier (at least in regards to buildings) to just screencap the textures and model the buildings myself.
KiteRyagara

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Papercraft Reply with quote

Did anything ever come of that Pepakura designer thing? I saw it mentioned many pages back but I don't know if anyone ever actually imported models into it. I was hoping to find some papercraft designs made from it or something, if anyone had actually done it that is.
Dragonmaster525

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Pepakura, I have tried a few models and a few of them can probably be built without too much difficulty, just not at the scales I like. I'll post some pics of some ship models I have built.
minti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I actually was the one who suggested using pepakura designer but I never got around to it because I couldn't find a model that seemed simple enough (unfortunately I have no 3D skills to try and simplify one)
More specifically I never found a hamachu model.
I'd love to see your model !
Dragonmaster525

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a Valuan Battleship I made, the model is not finished and is far from the best it could be due to the small scale and the difficulty I had building it, due to my lack of 3d modeling knowledge as well.

Luigi
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ossum :O
minti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Luigi ^^ It looks perfect to me !
Kryslin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good to me, too. Smile

Steve
minti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I finally made a papercraft too !

And I made some pdf's so you can make your own Pow papercraft. You can get them here : with folding lines, without, and lines only (to serve as a reference). There is some text in french but it's nothing really important...

Hey Kryslin, I have a question for you. Do you have any idea why exmldnet gives an index out of bounds error for every mld that contains the model of grendel ? Some exemples are A112C.mld, A112CE29.mld and A215AE20.mld... It's a pity, I would have liked to have grendel :/
Kryslin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minti wrote:

Hey Kryslin, I have a question for you. Do you have any idea why exmldnet gives an index out of bounds error for every mld that contains the model of grendel ? Some exemples are A112C.mld, A112CE29.mld and A215AE20.mld... It's a pity, I would have liked to have grendel :/

Actually, I don't know why it would, unless there's something wonky with the MLD file itself... I'll have to fire up the ol' IDE and run those MLD files through...

STeve
minti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for investigating this !
Fenix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this too. All but one mld file crashes when grendel is present. It fails to export on the grendel model. (also the eye texture seems glitchy)
A112C
A112CE29
A215AE20
A241AE19
A241AE21

However the mld of grendel from the ship battle selection seems to work:
A515A

While I'm at it, here are a few other problematic files. Most export but with twisted models. (all from disk one FIELD)
A010AA = temple guard NPC is mangled
A034BB = Delphinus (both paint schemes) 1 model, oddly incomplete?
A238A = Ryu-Kan's forge - fails after exporting house model
A240AF08A = Rhaknam (mangled mouth model)
A240AF09 = Rhaknam (mangled mouth model)

Also... has anyone found where the rest of the submenu textures are? All I've been able to find are the condensed shop/map elements and crew portraits. I've been unable to find the rest of the menu components; main character status/equipment/magic/treasure screens, the design on the right-hand-side of most menu buttons, the icons for the menu buttons (options/journal/ship/crew/etc.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: