Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOA Dreamcast Editor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia
View previous topic View next topic
Vash

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all, i'd like to translate this game (DC version and pheraps GC one too) in my language (italian) and i'll use this editor (fantastic Razz). My problem is tha same...a friend of mine posseses the original gdis but he haven't the connector so i took the Echelon ones...i'd like to know if someone could pass me the files needed for the translation or evene a decompressor (but i don't think it exists in the net..)..

p.s. Adnova, couldn't you update the editor implementing a repointer? it would be very useful Razz

thanks all anyway Wink
ADnova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The editor probably won't be updated any more, and I never was able to figure out the Echelon compression scheme. Sorry.
diablo2121

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to ask you. I have SOAEditor 0.8 which does a lot more than the 0.9 preview a couple posts back. Is that normal or am I missing some sort of current release?
jmjohnson85

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just found out about this, and unfortunately with GeoCities gone now it seems impossible to find a download for this anywhere.

Can anyone here help me get ahold of ADnova's editor?
Chilly0123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mediafire.com/?cftbddbttnwgxjs

the version of the game that his editor works with is very hard to find, i ended up getting the echelon version and using a hex editor to make the game extremely challenging lol.

if i knew more about programming i would make an editor for the gamecube version of the game, it seems to run smoothly on the dolphin emulator now with only a few crashes at random times.
jmjohnson85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thank you so freakin' much for providing me with that download!!!!! I still haven't been able to find it anywhere, so once again thanks so much!

Second, the main reason I wanted to try the editor was to do things like make the game harder since normally SOA is crazy easy. So the hex edited version of the game that you did sounds extremely enticing!

Is there any chance you could make a patch (like PPF) of the game and upload it? Or maybe just post the HEX changes? Anything will do, I have been dying to play SOA and have it actually be a challenge!

Thanks again, so much!
Chilly0123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only problem with uploading a patch is that it wont include any of the monster or ship edits that i made, and while the ship stats are easy to find and edit with a hex editor, the monster stats are scattered all over the place.

i also ran into problems at higher lvls while playing, it seems like every character has some preset stats they will end up with by lvl 64. i set all my characters to gain low amounts of max hp each lvl up, which worked out fine early on, but by lvl 30 they were gaining more than double of what i set in the editor.

because of the way each character gains stats until lvl 64, i think the only way to truly make the game very challenging is by either making the monsters much stronger or making all skills and equipment much weaker. but because monster stats are so hard to find in the hex editor, it can be very time consuming to edit them all. i will have to remake my hard-mode version and do some tweaking with all the skills and equipment so it doesn't become super easy before disk 2 lol~
jmjohnson85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrgg... Well if I ever come up with something I will post about it here. Thanks for getting back to me about that though!
ADnova

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So uh... it's been a while. I recently unearthed my old computer with the SOA Dreamcast Editor source code on it, and it really stirred up a lot of nostalgia.

I thought it'd be fun to have a look at it again, and see what could be done. In particular, I wanted to see if I could make it work for the Gamecube version of the game.

So even though I'm being a little premature, expect a release of the editor that works with Skies of Arcadia Legends (once I implement texture importing again - the GC version texture formats are totally different than the Dreamcast versions).

This is all the first (very much alpha/early/crappy!) version of the editor for SOAL will have:
- Dialog editing (still no repointer stuff, so each message size is still individually limited, but I'll get to it).
- Weapon, Accessory, Armor, and Consumable Item editing.
- Magic/Super Move editing.
- Texture viewing/exporting/importing(maybe?).

My goal is to basically get something working for the Gamecube version, then build on it over time. I expect to release the new version some time next week maybe.
jmjohnson85

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy moly! Well if it matters you have my support and my excitement about your new-found goals for this project!!
LumensAquilae
I get by with a little help from my friends

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, glad to see you back around. The tool is very helpful.
ADnova

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the SOALEditor version 0.4 is available here: http://www.romhacking.net/utils/788/

An HTML help manual is included with the download. If anyone tries it out and has any questions or runs into any problems, let me know.

EDIT: I'm not releasing a new version until I get around to adding character editing. Some sort of good news is that I've updated and then folded Kryslin's model exporter into the editor so that you can export model files directly. It's not perfect yet. Anyway, it'll be included in the next release with the character editor, so the next release probably won't be for a week or two, or whenever I get around to it.
drivium

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: DC SOA Editor Reply with quote

Now that NullDC is running games (SOA) at full speed, why not continue on that route? Its so much better on DC imo. I managed to download the PAL uncompressed version of SOA (dc version) and figured out the memory address offset to make codes work. I just can't figure out how the no random battles or quick level up codes were made/found and my offset is not doing the trick for these. I googled for help and found ADNovas 4x cheat code tutorial but didn't quite get how to search these - I assume I need the debugger. Reading through this forum, I learned that using the black/white maps might get me closer to no random battles. I suspect I can just equip either and do a search for greater or less (less with white map, greater with black map) and narrow down the results until I find the random battle address and just set it to 0? Will attempt tonight. JUST discovered this site today, but Ive been a fan of SOA since the Echelon release. So psyched to see some life back in here (and particularly around SOA)!! Also, I can modify the ship parts (I see them in the inventory), but when I go to select one (change cannon or blaster) they aren't in the list. Also, can't seem to equip ship upgrades (although they are visible in my list after memory edit, but greyed out).
jmjohnson85

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: DC SOA Editor Reply with quote

drivium wrote:
Now that NullDC is running games (SOA) at full speed, why not continue on that route?

Yeah but with the recent Fusion/WODE mod, testing a modified SOA ISO is easier than ever!

Until this crazy Serial SD interface actually gets up to speed I gonna say the GC version is more preferable for editing.
drivium wrote:
Its so much better on DC imo.

I'm gonna have to agree with you here Smile
drivium

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: White MAP / Black MAP Reply with quote

Well, I figured this was a sure fire way to find the random battle address, but my results weren't useful. I saw earlier in the posts that the White Map value was 5 while the Black Map value was 100. I tried doing a search for both of these but no luck here either. I noticed that in the existing "No Random Battle" codes that the value is set to 9. Not clear on why that might be. If anyone has any tips on finding this address, it would be so much appreciated!!! Again, for DC PAL version. I would just switch to the USA version, but I am already so far into this and saves can't be converted to USA....can they?

-d
ADnova

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference in the no random battle code (along with the "get 4x whatever after battle" codes) is that it's actually modifying game code. This just means porting the code is more involved because it's probably not a simple offset in memory. I might take a look at some point.

Another thing to do would be to make a code that makes the White Map (or maybe some other item) allow you to completely avoid random battles by setting that special value to 0 (I think there's a code like that somewhere...). You could maybe combine it with a "start with item x" code, if there are any.

I haven't really kept up with what's been going on with DC emulation. However, the main reason I'm sticking to Gamecube is because my original DC editor only works with the non-Echelon NTSC version of the game, which seemed to be nearly impossible to get. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly?) that the Gamecube SOA Legends I'm working with is easier to get, and "standard".

This project is really just something I poke at infrequently when I feel like it, so I can't ever promise any feature, or that I'll actually get around to doing anything.
drivium

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. Believe me, I understand what a job, marriage, and kids can do to programming time, much less gaming time!! I know this is small potatoes compared to the stuff you've been hacking. I can provide a link to the uncompressed (both ntsc, and pal) versions if you think u might be willing to locate that address for me. OR a tip on how to find it on my own? thx man

I tried to find the address that the white map and black map modifies, but not having any luck. Even if I knew how to modify game code (using the other method), I would have to first know the address (which I dont) to find it in a debugger, right?
drivium

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: SOAEditor 0.8 Reply with quote

I managed to find this editor as well as an NTSC version of this game. However, it is uncompressed and doesnt have a 1st read.bin file viewable. The files available are

SOA disk 1.GDI - 87 bytes (very small)
track01.bin - 1.40 mb
track02.raw - 13.3 mb
track03.bin - 1.10 gb

Can I load any of these files into your editor? Or will it only load 1stRead.bin ? If I hit *.* I can get it to view all files, but I'm not sure which file (if any) to select. Will your editor even work with an uncompressed version? thx
RikaPSO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a account just to post in this topic.

The passed er 3 days now I randomly decided to try to figure out how to edit the game (Dreamcast version) cause I randomly found a non-echelon release of the game (it still isn't the right version to use with the editor though, it's the same version as the person above me who posted D: ). I own 2 copies of the DC version and 1 copy for the GC. Can't get it on my pc due to the gd-rom thing. Anyway I figured out item's, text, moves/magic, enemy moves/magic, and enemy stats. Then I find this topic like yesterday it all being found 6 years ago. I haven't been able to use the DC version of your editor, but I was able to get the GC one working, your amazing ADnova. =)

I'm not sure if I missed it in this topic, but were you able to figure out how enemy's move/magic choices worked ADnova? After their drop information there is even more data afterwords. I can change it between similar monsters, but I can't seem to make anything unique without crashes.

I wish the file's inside the iso of the GC weren't packed cause I wanted to look at some stuff the editor couldn't do yet for GC. D:
Unless I can use Puyo tools for that, but I tried using it on monster data but didn't even seem to change the file and had the same date/time on the file still, hm... o.O

Edit: Can you re release any documentation that was released in this topic? I don't think geocities.com works anymore. D:
I would love to edit what enemies are determined for battling/area, I doubt I'll ever figure that out on my own. xD
ADnova

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I've taken so long to respond Sad

When I was researching the compression used in the GameCube version, I wrote a little command line utility for compressing and decompressing the game files.

I put it up on Dropbox if you want to try it out: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65297845/aklz.rar

To decompress a file:
aklz -d inputFileName.sct -o outputFileName.sct

-d for decompress
-o for output

I haven't touched it in a long time, but it probably works?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: