Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Delphinus in Half Life 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia
View previous topic View next topic
Kryslin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a brief update, I have discovered func_visleaf entities. Take that, portal count and vis-leaves! It helps unclutter some of the wide open spaces that are teaming with visleafs and consolidate them into larger visleafs.

This speeds up vvis times dramatically, but can lead to some laggy areas. It does, however, work very well in large, open areas where there is a lot of nothing. So, I've been going around, adding some 1024 x 1024 x 1024 func_visleaf entities in areas that are teaming with visleafs. The area I want to clean up the most is around the Delphinus itself, and this will take some work.

Technically speaking, I could go around and manually determine where my visleaves will be, which would probably clean the portals and visleaves up a lot, but that's a whole lot of work.

I guess I'd better get crackin'.

Steve
The Amigo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great! How would you go about making it possible to fall off Crescent Isle?
Kryslin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By adding a whole bunch of nasty geometry under the island, and something that auto-kills the player as they fall with a girly scream to their demise. Smile I know it can be done, I've played several maps with that feature. Smile

Steve
banjo2E

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick notes: One, you may already have noticed this, but the ground floor of the barracks is supposed to have two doors, one on either side, but it currently has only 1, as of the most recent demo. Two, the lift to/from the outside meeting room/balcony cannot be accessed when it's at the opposite location from where you are, which, if it isn't corrected before the final retail version, will make for some interesting multiplayer fights where a single a-hole sits on the balcony tossing grenades over the ledge, killing people at random while being completely out of harm's way. Until everyone else just hangs around in the Delphinus room and avoids the outdoors altogether. Plus, if you get up to the balcony, reactivate the lift, then run off it quick, you're stuck up there and can't get down unless you have a desire to kill yourself. So...yeah.

Incidentally, if you enter the map from the main menu, you don't have any weapons, HP bar, etc., not even the gravity gun. Although you die pretty much instantly and can't move fast at all...you apparently have gills as well, since water doesn't hurt you at all. Very Happy (I know, it's not too relevant, but it's FUUUUUUUUN.)
The Amigo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The elevator issue can be solved by adding a secret passageway between the docking bay and the meeting room. A call button would be cool too, but the elevator should really just be a platform that moves when you walk onto it, like in the game.
Kryslin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The call button is a good idea, I'll see if I can implement it.

There will also be a secret passage from the dockside to the conference room.

I just need time away from work and school to get some more work done on it...

Steve
Kryslin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And... call buttons implemented.

I wish that Valve would include simple AND : OR : NOT : XOR logic for their entities. It would have made the job so much easier (I'm a digital logic guy, not a finite-state machine guy).

Using func_visclusters messed up the interior lighting badly, so I 've ditched those for now. I'll be adding that second door on the 'barracks', too.

Now, if the internet would cooperate, I could upload it so you all could have some fun... For some reason, web destinations in the west appear to be non-existent.

Steve
Kryslin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I can get back to getting some textures redone - the main drawback? Finding and Writing a good wood shader that I can control, and that produces predictable results. I need to work on finishes a bit (mainly, a finish that looks like varnished wood), and I should be able to start redoing some of the whacked wood panels for the conference room / office area.

I should also be placing some windows, and pulling some buildings and such out of the MLD files, and rebuilding them for the map.

And, I'm working on setting up a VMPI cluster here on our LAN. I've got 4 dual core, 2GB, 2.4GHz or better machines here, I should be able to come up with something.

And interesting idea... Someone has gotten a PS3 to run Linux. Linux + Wine + Steam = One Kick Ass Slave Renderer/VMPI processor...

Oh well, back to playing with shaders...

Steve
The Amigo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I'm unable to connect to your site.
Kryslin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amigo wrote:
Hmm. I'm unable to connect to your site.

It appears that the entire silvite.com domain is currently offline. I'm sure if it's something important, Fina will say something about it...

I should be getting back to work on this after the new year. It's been a busy month, finishing up a couple of projects, learning CSS and Table-less HTML page layout, and finishing up an online "Introduction to Renderman" course...

Steve
LumensAquilae
I get by with a little help from my friends

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wasn't able to connect to Silvite.com any yesterday, it seems to be back up now.
Kryslin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, kryslin.silvite.com is back up. Perhaps it was just some maintenance being performed on the server...

Steve
The Amigo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking of figuring out how to edit the map to be playable in multiplayer games like Counter-Strike: Source, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, and Day of Defeat: Source. Given what you've seen, how complicated can it be?
Kryslin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not complicated. Just add the starting positions where you want them.

You'd have to balance out where the weapons would get placed, too.

HOWEVER...

Be prepared for a very long wait on a full compile- my last attempt I aborted at 26 HOURS. A fast compile took a lot less time - about 45 minutes. This is why I want to get a VMPI cluster running.

Steve
The Amigo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference in the end result between the full compile and the fast compile?
Kryslin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fast compile only does a partial visibility computation, just enough for vrad to light the map. vvis on a full compile bogs down on the portal flow. I've not noticed too much of a difference in FPS either way...

Steve
The Amigo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Construct additional entities? Yay func_detail!
Kryslin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually run into problems with func_detail entities.

Using func_details for lights screwed up lighting, for instance, about the time Orange Box came out. I've had geometry drop outs on large func_details (as noted during some of the intial testing done by peeps here). I've also had some other problems, as I think I've hit a limitation of the editor, because I've got some brushed losing their properties on save, and it's a different bunch every time...

Perhaps, I need to rethink how a number of things in this map are built...
prop_statics, maybe? Some of the Delphinus features will be changed to those...

Steve
The Amigo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Team Fortress 2 custom maps I've seen, I don't think it's too much. Those things were HUGE.
Kryslin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, take a look at one using some of the console commands to turn on wireframe and portals. compare that to parts of the delphinus map. The odd angles of HMS Delphinus carve up the map into lots of portals, which kills any sane attempts at a full vis compile. The docking cavern is where most of the trouble is at.

Remember, I did say you could de-compile the map, and offer suggestions on optimizations.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: