Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Delphinus in Half Life 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia
View previous topic View next topic
LumensAquilae
I get by with a little help from my friends

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have HL2 yet, you can snag the complete Half-Life 2 set for $35 bucks on Steam, including the base game and both expansion packs here. All though you'd be better off just spending the extra $5 bucks and grabbing the Orange Box on Steam for $40 bucks, including all of the above as well as the awesome Portal and Team Fortress 2 here.
The Amigo

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fina wrote:
If you don't have HL2 yet, you can snag the complete Half-Life 2 set for $35 bucks on Steam, including the base game and both expansion packs here. All though you'd be better off just spending the extra $5 bucks and grabbing the Orange Box on Steam for $40 bucks, including all of the above as well as the awesome Portal and Team Fortress 2 here.

That's right. Just make sure your PC isn't a complete piece before you install. You don't need a supercomputer to run HL2, but anything from before 2003 probably won't do the trick.
LumensAquilae

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just now got around to trying the map for myself. I was very impressed with the changes you made inside the ship to make it all fit together in a logical fashion. Only thing that bothered me at this point was the lighting, overall too dim. But lighting is always one of the hardest things to get right.
Kryslin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of the lighting being too dim:

Make sure the gamma is set right on your monitor; You can do this from the video options. The game defaults to Gamma 2.2, which leaves things really dark. When I adjusted mine (down to 1.9) it almost looks good.

Then here's a question : Is there any way to add an ambient light source beyond a light_env entity? For HL1, you could specify a certain amount of Ambient Light in the Map Properties...

I've gotten most of the guardrails replaced with ones similar to the ones on the catwalks now, and I hope I have a few of the texture issues fixed. I'll let map_analyst have it in the morning and upload a revision.
LumensAquilae

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a radiosity lighting compiler mode on the old HL1 tools. I'm not sure if the HL2 lighting does it my default, but it made the lighting much more realistic without needing to use the ambient light value, which could cause some strange effects, especially on maps like this with interior and exterior areas.
Kryslin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some reading...

Prop based doors are do-able, but require a bit of a work around ( a prop_dynamic tied to an invisible func_rotating_door). I'll play with this a bit, and see if I can get it to work. Yes, I know there is a prop_door_rotating, but it only seems to work with doors in props/c_17... The upside is, I should be able to use 1 door model, with different skins.

I'm also doing some more optimizations; Portal count is up over 1500, with 5800 numportals. However, I think I'm starting to get it as optimized as possible... Last default compile was an hour. Good thing I've got 2 computers.

Cluster Computing (VMPI) vvis and vrad appears to be do-able, it requires a SDK installation on each machine... Good think Steam Accounts and the SDK are free...

The Source SDK has a HDRI mode which supposedly does help with the ambient illumination, but I really want to get the VMPI cluster working before that. There is an r_worldlightmin console variable you can set, I'm using about .2 right now...

If you want, you can decompile the map if you want, and suggest optimizations... Realize that I've found a number of things already and have fixed them, so you may want to wait until after the next release...

Steve
The Amigo

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it's possible to grab the lower sky effects from Skies of Arcadia and put them into this map. You can only see the clouds, not the dark sky below.
Kryslin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's called a custom skybox. I suppose it could be done, all a skybox is really is 6 textures, one for each face of a cube, and all the textures are there in the MLD file I've pulled apart...

Steve
The Amigo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kryslin wrote:
I believe it's called a custom skybox. I suppose it could be done, all a skybox is really is 6 textures, one for each face of a cube, and all the textures are there in the MLD file I've pulled apart...

Steve

Ah, I see. Well that would be pretty cool!

Saw this on Gizmodo, reminded me of the HMS Delphinus.
http://gizmodo.com/388227/uss-independence-a-triple-hulled-weapon+laden-monster-that-is-surprisingly-affordable
LumensAquilae

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HL2 also allows you to make 3d skyboxes, taking a set small part of the world and blowing it up to fill in the sky. This allows to to have animated, 3d skyboxes.

So for example on this map you could use the skybox to fill out the side of the island and have ships flying in the distance.
Kryslin

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have a new version of delphinus_beta uploaded to the site tomorrow, late. Here's the reason why it's taken so long...

I had to figure out how to procedurally generate the deck diamond plate texture.

I know the contrast is off a bit, but that's easily fixed.

Steve
LumensAquilae

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some free time so if you want I can try to create some high-res versions of the SoA textures, or at least some of them, for your map. Especially the Delphinus stuff and a few others.
Kryslin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update is up! Get it at the previously mentioned URL.

Most of the issues brought up by The Amigo should have been taken care of; There are a few I do know of, but didn't notice until after compilation was complete.

Fina : Thanks for the offer. I'll have to see what I'm not working on, and let you know. I've got most of the metallic stuff covered; It's the buildings and such outside I'm lacking much working material on.

One thing I do need is a height map of the gold trim found on the bridge. I can get the brass/gold metal down pat, but since the texture image is pre-lit, when I try to generate a heightmap for displacement mapping in RSL (Renderman Shading Language, used in 3Delight for it's shaders) I get a rather warped looking result.

For those of you who are curious, I'm using the following software for my texture re-makes : Rhinoceros 3.0 SR2 (NURBS 3D Modelling program - really powerful), Rhinoman .65 (Renderman front end for Rhino 3D), 3Delight 7.0 (Renderman Compliant Final Frame Renderer), The GIMP (2.4, Image Manipulation and editing) and VTFEdit (for making in game textures out of images).

I take a feature and model it in 3D, and apply a few simple materials, which use a collection of shaders I've written and shaders that are available on the net. I'll run a number of low-quality renders, to tweak the materials, and then do a final, high quality render (which can take anywhere from 5-40 minutes, depending on the complexity of the object). From there, it's off to the GIMP, to crop and resize (and to strip an image's alpha channel, if it doesn't need one), and then VTFEdit to make it game ready. It's not as easy as it sounds, especially when it comes to shader development. My diamondplate shader is indeed awesome, but it took 5 weeks of trial and error work to get it running right. Moat of my time is usually spent modelling or developing/finding a shader for use.

Steve
LumensAquilae

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a .zip file available of all of the .tga texture files you use?

That would be very helpful.
Kryslin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to track 'em down and archive 'em. I've got all the original images I've created and used, but they're rather spread out, instead of being all nice and neat in the materialsrc folder, like they should be...

I'm a baaad half-life mapper... Smile

I'll see what I can come up with in the next 24 hours. I go on vacation Wednesday, and I'll be away from my workstation for 8 days...

Steve
Kryslin

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, my attempt to get all the textures source materials into a nice archive hit epic levels of suck and fail; I'm working on it, though. It, and the map, will be available in a pair of archives. I desperately need to clean my materials/materialsrc directories, because some of my really bad Half Life 1 delphinus textures are in there... about 1/2 the textures in the directory.

A screenshot from the Hammer 3D window...

This is the next area to get textured, and where the Delphinus' launches will probably be stored. There are 2 stories of space underneath there, so plenty of room for stuff...

I also fixed a geometry error, so now both sides match.

I'm also looking at the geometry of the cliff face, so that will actually be a closer match than the kludge I have now.
Kryslin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update to Delphinus Map - We have a working fire pole.
Also, some work has been done on the turrets, replacing the 'Bloomers' (Canvas weather gaurds on barrels) with displacement brushes. Powerful stuff, displacement brushes. And a pain in the ass to manipulate. Cliff face has been altered, matches original more closely. Elevator moves much faster. Water replaced with something a little more closely resembling SoA water.

There are a couple of geometry issues noticeable in the screenshot.

I should be bundling it late tomorrow and uploading it, after I fix some of the minor issues.

Steve
The Amigo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in what form would you expect this map if it were to be utilized in a source game like CS, DoD, or TF2? What kind of stuff would you say has to be done on or to it?

Also, on your site, would you include the date of the last upload of the map? I can't tell if it's updated >_>.
Kryslin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map hasn't been updated. Got hit with some heavy repair stuff at home.

Beyond answering the question "Can I do this?", I really have no idea what to do with it once it was finished. Definitely an exercise to sharpen my skills, but an actual, playable map? The only multiplayer half-life I'm familiar with is deathmatch.

I need to finish detailing the interior of the ship, the rooms around the docking cavern, and the outside and conference room in general.

I need to get away from copyrighted materials being used (game textures from the following sources : Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Heretic, Hexen, Hexen 2, Original Half Life, and reconstructed Skies of Arcadia Textures) to my on versions.

Map structure needs to be optimized; There is a map de-compiler out there for source maps, and this map isn't obfuscated. Map flow for multiplayer needs to be worked on.

I need to get some 3D doors modeled. I also need to get the work around for said doors functional.

I need to finish extracting detail models from the Game Image, and re-modeling them to fit the map.

I think that's the to-do list. Smile

Steve
The Amigo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as a multiplayer map, Just the Delphinus itself would be sufficient, or maybe the Delphinus alongside another airship pointed in the opposite direction, which btw would be AWESOME. Most balanced maps sport some form of symmetry, and the double airships would help that.

The only forms I could see this map taking are:

CS:S - de_delphinus - Basically the map as it is right now, with maybe one or two more entries into the hangar... Perhaps from the office. The bomb points would have to be in the bridge and on top of one of the main guns. The Terrorists would spawn in the outside portion of the base, probably the place where the flagpole goes. Counter-Terrorist spawn would be either in the ballroom of the Delphinus or maybe just the big stairwell area. de_ maps don't need to be symmetrical, so this form would require the least work.

DoD:S - dod_delphinus - This one is really open to many forms. It could be a map where both sides are trying to bomb specific points, capture flags, or one team tries to bomb and the other defends. The first two would best be in the form of the two ships. The latter would best be the map as is, with a couple more entry points like the de_ one.

TF2 - My brain hurts. TF2 would probably be the best fit for this map, but I'm not sure how to make it work yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: