Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC cooling question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic View next topic
ftr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: PC cooling question Reply with quote

A while ago, I got really fed up with my CPU getting dangerously warm (70 degrees C) when playing games, so I went out and bought a new heatsink and case fan in an effort to keep it running cool.

The heatsink works better than the old one, I'll give it that. When playing games, it only gets as high as 62, idles after booting up at 38, and runs mostly <45. But I noticed something last night. The fan for the heatsink blows cold air down onto the CPU... I always thought the fan should blow the hot air conducted via the heatsink AWAY from the CPU.

I confirmed the fan was sucking air to the CPU earlier by holding a little bit of tissue near the fan as it spun, and the tissue was violently pulled towards the fan (glad I held on to it tight!)

so, I tried to turn the fan round, as it was scrwed onto the sink. But no such luck. The screw holes on one side are large enough to take the heads of the screws, but the way I wanted it round, the holes on the other side were only big enough for the thread. I tried some other screws, but I don't have any thin enough to go into the screw holes on the heatsink. so it seems this should be the right way for it...

So, does anyone who knows a good bit about pc cooling able to shed some light on this?i it worth continuing on my quest to find screws long and thin enough to fit? Or is that, contrary to my belief, the correct way it should be?

(on a side note, I haven't fitted the other case fan I bought yet, as I need to make a space for it on the side panel...that should also force the temperature down a wee bit, although the CPU is the main overheating problem, as the overall system temperature is never really very high)
LumensAquilae
I get by with a little help from my friends

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CPU fan blows cold air onto the heatsink to cool it down, and the case fans should blow the warm air out of the case.
Treppenwitz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fina wrote:
The CPU fan blows cold air onto the heatsink to cool it down, and the case fans should blow the warm air out of the case.

But a key to keeping a PC cool is to have air circulation. So some fans on the case should be intake, preferably at the front of the case, and exhaust fans usually in the back.
ftr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, tomorrow I'm putting in the other fan for circulation. the case needs some modification to accomodate however, which is why it isn't done yet.
Gyokuran
yo what up

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty obvious but keep displacement in mind: When its blowing cool air into the heatsink, its displacing the hot air in addition to providing more cool air to absorb thermal energy.

What size is your case? I have a huge case and my processor temp idles at like 30 c
Luigi
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also helps if the inside of the computer and the fans are clean of dust. I just cleaned mine out and found a 10C degree difference in my CPU's temp. so its good to clean it every month or so.
ftr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I did my best to get the dust out of the case when I was putting in the new heatsink. I got shot of all the dust lying on the case parts and in the fans and around the drives... but there's still some in there, in spaces I'm afraid to go near...I can just see myself shorting out the motherboard Shocked

Kuran, my pc is about 44cm long, 41 cm deep and 20 cm wide. I suppose thats not big, I know I've seen bigger around, so plenty of room to heat up.
Bogo Sort
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would think, that after two years of studying in a major that doesn't concern itself with much more than moving parts and how to keep them cool, I would know more about fans than I do. That I know next to nothing about them is rather disturbing.
Gyokuran
yo what up

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well computers dont have many moving parts asside from the drives and fans so there goes half of your major.
Sensei Ramirez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogo Sort wrote:
One would think, that after two years of studying in a major that doesn't concern itself with much more than moving parts and how to keep them cool, I would know more about fans than I do. That I know next to nothing about them is rather disturbing.

The pub is not a lecture theatre. Remember that and you'll get further.
S T E E L

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treppenwitz wrote:
Fina wrote:

But a key to keeping a PC cool is to have air circulation. So some fans on the case should be intake, preferably at the front of the case, and exhaust fans usually in the back.
Unless your computer is in a corner, in which blowing exhaust air into a pocket is not a good idea; your exaust will go nowhere. But circulation is the key.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spazz wrote:
Treppenwitz wrote:
Fina wrote:

Unless your computer is in a corner, in which blowing exhaust air into a pocket is not a good idea; your exaust will go nowhere. But circulation is the key.

Just don't switch your psu fans to be intake. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: