Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Awesome PC games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic View next topic
LumensAquilae
I get by with a little help from my friends

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Awesome PC games Reply with quote

That's right, I said PC games. Take your Hairaiakreia XXVII Moon Saga II BS elsewhere. This thread is for awesome PC games that never became very popular or didn't get the recognition that they deserve.

System Shock II - FPS/RPG/Sci-Fi/Horror - "You're on-board the Starship Von Braun and somethings gone very, very wrong. Some kind of force has hijacked this ship, that's why you volunteered to be implanted with some experimental cybernetic implants. Rely on your cyber interface, it just might save your life..." SS2 came out in the wake of Half-Life and didn't get much attention. The game is a FPS with RPG elements and pits you against the former crew of the Von Braun while you try to figure out what happened and survive. Ammo is limited, and weapons will degrade and jam, so you cannot mindlessly rush into every battle, blowing away your ammo. You have a cyber rig installed that allows you to upgrade your stats and learn new abilities with OS upgrades, there are many different skill choices, and in the course of 1 game you will not be able to specialize in all of them, giving the game a good replay value.

Deus Ex - FPS/RPG/Sci-Fi - This one might not be very underrated, but many people still have not heard of this game. The game takes place in a close future where the world has been raped by a plague, and you step into the role of a special agent for an Anti-Terrorism organization and begin to uncover this global conspiracy. The game has an excellent storyline that will send you around the world and an RPG-like stat system that gives the game many different ways to be played and replayed.
* Also available for the PS2.

No One Lives Forever 1/2 - FPS/Stealth/Retro/Humor - You play as Cate Archer, a spy who is tasked with uncovering the plots of the evil HARM corporation in this funny, retro-styled series. Both games have a nice storyline and have humor injected everywhere. Both are very fun and enjoyable games that I highly recommend.
* NOLF 1 is available for the PS2 as well.

Aquanox 1/2 - Aquatic FPS/Submarines/blow things up - Aquanox plays similar to a space combat sim, except under the oceans. You pilot a wide selection of submarines that you can upgrade and rearm to your liking through various missions across the seas. There is quite a difference between the first and second Aquanox game. The first game has more of a comic-book feel to it, a lighter storyline, and more linear mission progression. The later has a more realistic feel, much darker storyline and more flexibility in your missions progression. Some missions can be very difficult, and you cannot save in the middle so if you fail, you start over. But that doesn't hurt the game too much and both games are fun to load up and blast the crap out of things in the ocean.

Anachronox - RPG/Sci-Fi/Humor - Anachronox is an RPG much in the styling of older console-based RPGs with a more modern appearance. You play a Private Detective who is down on his luck after some unfortunate events and a run-in with the wrong people. Without getting to much into the story, you get a job and are sent across the galaxy. The game doesn't take itself too seriously, and has plenty of humor throughout. I really need to go back through and play the game again, it was good.

Giants : Citizen Kabuto - Third Person Shooter/Platformer/Humor - It has been a while since I played this game, so I don't remember the story clearly, but it starts off when some space men crash into a planet. You get split up and must find your friends. Along the way you will make allies and fight alongside them. The game has a large variety of different mission types and 3 different playable characters, Baz, the space person who has technology and his squad on his side, this mermaid elf like woman who has magic powers, and a giant which simply smashes the crap out of everything. This is another game I need to play again.
* Also available for the PS2.

Armed and Dangerous - Third Person Shooter/Platformer/Humor - The spiritual successor to Giants. You play as a freedom fighter who is... fighting.... for freedom with a large arsenal of weapons. Nothing really special here, but it is an enjoyable game with a good bit of humor. It was also published by LucasArts, so you can expect a pantload of Star Wars references. It is worth a try.
* Also available for the XBox

Clive Barker's Undying - FPS/Horror - Undying is a game that was really well done, yet could have been done better in parts. For the most part, you've got the stereotype mansion that is haunted by a dead family that cannot rest due to a curse. For the most part, the game can be very disturbing and scary, but that built up fear tends to go out the window as soon as you start fighting, then it becomes more of the standard FPS thing. The game has some interesting features such as the ability to temporarily see into the supernatural, often giving clues or showing ghosts of the past. Worth a try, especially if you like the occasional scare.

American McGee's Alice - Third Person Shooter/Platformer - Alice is set in a warped and twisted vision of Wonderland and you must fight your way through to regain your sanity and restore Wonderland. The game has some very unique, twisted and enjoyable levels that you must fight through and solve puzzles, many of which are worth playing through the entire game just to play again. It is actually hard to describe the game, you just have to give it a try.
ftr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archimedian Dynasty - A very fine submarine game, set in the future. Clichéd but great plot, played awesomely. Only bug being that save games only decided to work every so often. Haven't played in years, might play again soon
LumensAquilae
I get by with a little help from my friends

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archimedian Dynasty is the prequel to the Aquanox games, fyi.
JonoPike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superhero League of Hoboken (RPG) 1995ish : "The future ain't what it used to be"

Set in a post-apocalyptic America, this game has some great originality and comedy to it. It plays like an old RPG, moving around maps, completing quests, and fighting turn-based battles in your way of compating the evil Dr Entropy and re-discovering the glory of the Golden Age of the 20th century. I haven't tried the game in a while, and not since I upgraded my comp, but here are some bits that I remember:

There were superhores with such names as Crimson Tape, Tropical Oil Man and Zaniac, with such unearthly powers as refolding roadmaps and increasing foes' cholesterol levels.

Monsters included 'Beareau-crats' (furniture cabinets that damage you by spewing torrents of red tape), Mutated Tupperware, Lab Rats from Hell and Telemarketers, that are impossible to kill, and can only be defeated if they flee.

Abseloutley awesome game, because I've never seen anything else as satirical and funny, yet actually a playable and decent game.

You can d/l it here:
http://www.abandonia.com/games/245/SuperheroLeagueofHoboken.htm
Bogo Sort
QUOTE, BUY, PRINT!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody mentioned X-Com yet? I'm very disappointed in you. All of you.

X-Com: UFO Defense - Real Time Global Management and Turn-based Strategic Squad Combat - This game is considered by many to be the greatest PC game of all time. Part of its genius is the way that it displays both the global alien invasion and individual firefights between X-Com agents and the extraterrestrial menace. This game was creepy as hell when I first played it in 1994.
*Also available for the PS1, I think. But you want the PC version.

Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers - Point and click adventure - You're Roger Wilco: an intergalactic janitor and all-around Space Guy. You're enjoying a drink inside a seedy spaceport bar on the planet Magnethius as you're approached by two heavily armed thugs in the employ of the villainous Sludge Vohaul. They're about to dispose of you, but a man with an "over-elaborate hair-dryer" saves you and sends you through a brightly colored portal into parts unknown. As you glance around your new surroundings, you notice that you're in Space Quest XII. That's right, you've somehow been sent eight sequels into the future.

The game plays just like any of Sierra's other point-and-click adventure titles created using the SCI1 engine, but SQ4 is significant in that it has two additional icons: taste and smell. You don't need to use either one to complete the game, but using them generally prompts some damn funny dialogue. Oh, and Gary Owen provides what is hands-down the best narration in any video game, ever.

All right, fine. Both these games were pretty popular at the time that they were released, but that was over ten years ago and nobody remembers them anymore. The next one never actually did become popular:

Star Control II: The Ur Quan Masters - Strategy/Action/Adventure - This game defies genre; the best explanation that I can think of is "Pirates! But in space," and that doesn't really do it justice. You manage Planet Earth's last fleet, and travel around the galaxy negotiating with aliens, searching for resources to maintain your fleet, and trading livestock for the secrets of the universe. This game's writing is awesome, and I dare anyone to find a game from before 1990 that had a more rollicking soundtrack. An absolutely incredible game that I can't manage to describe adequately.
*Also available on the 3DO, for those of you who remember what that was.

Grim Fandango - 3D Adventure - Everyone and his brother has heard this one and how great it's supposed to be, but only about eight people in the world bought it, and six of them worked on the game. Since people have been going on and on about this one for years, I'm not going to say anything more about it, other than, "Yes, it really is that good." Go get it. I think Lucasarts has a bunch of copies of this one sitting around inside their "Unsold copies of Star Wars: Force Commander" warehouse block. Try www.lucasarts.com.

ZZT - Adventure - While coding a word processor, Tim Sweeney (who would go on to create Unreal) decided that it would be more fun to make games than to create applications. The result was ZZT: a basic little top-down adventure game where you were supposed to collect keys or something. It has its charm, but I wouldn't have included it on this list if it weren't for ZZT's level editor, which allows users to create their own worlds and distribute them over the vast, uncharted territory that was the Internet in the nineties. I remember discovering ZZT in 1996 on AOL's Download Center; there were hundreds, if not thousands, of ZZT games available for download in those days.
After years of combing over ZZT's editor, people figured out how to expand its capabilities dramatically. Today's ZZT games are much more elaborate and complicated than Sweeney's original, and frequently contain art much better than what you'd expect from a game running in text mode. The content and mood of the games is incrediby varied; people have made ZZT games about everything imaginable, and the simplicity of the engine and the ease of which games can be created results in vastly different permutations of a simple formula.
*A port to the Dreamcast was being worked on at one point, and would have supported two players, but it's incomplete and will probably stay that way.

Last edited by Bogo Sort on Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:29 am; edited 5 times in total
Gyokuran
yo what up

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xcom fucking rocks.

Evil Genius is pretty fun too, picked it up on release for $20. You're an evil genius and you build your evil lair and try and keep secret agents out. Screenshots here: http://www.strategyplanet.com/evilgenius/TheGame/Screenshots.asp
Mantra
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civilization 2: The game everyone played in elementary school, this game was fantastic in all shapes and forms. Choose from a multitude of civilizations to play as in a world you create or a world like our own. Generally considered to be one of the best TBS games of all time, although rivaled by its spiritual sequel:

Alpha Centauri: The 'endgame' of Civilization involved you building a space ship to colonize a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri, and this game kinda picks up where Civilization 2 left off, but it does everything and more. Fully customizable units, a world you can shape to suit your needs, a dynamic research tree, a full mythos and backstory, and many unique and individual factions that have unique and identifiable leaders and traits. You could play as Colonel Santiago's Spartans if you wanted to dominate the world militarily, take control of Nwabudike Morgan and Morgan Industries if you wanted a grip on global economics, Brother Lal's Peacekeeping Forces if you wanted to rule the world through diplomacy, or Prokhor Zakharov's University of Planet if you wanted to rule through knowledge, just to name a few. Almost every style of play was represented by a unique faction to play as. The expansion pack Alien Crossfire added two alien species to play with, as well as doubling the playable factions, adding in new units and terrain, and giving the player a faction editor to work with.

Homeworld: One of the best RTS games in the world, whose stellar gameplay was accompanied by an equally stellar score. My first exposure to Barber's Adagio for Strings(also heard in Platoon) came during the second mission in this game where you return from a test jump of your hyperspace module to find your planet burned and destroyed, and the citizens in cryo storage in space under attack. The vocal version of this music plays in the background while you try to save as many of the planet's survivors as possible. Combine the music with a compelling and interesting storyline, revolutionary yet intuitive three-dimensional RTS controls, and a manual that could pass as a history textbook/engineering manual 2000 years into the future and you've got one of the best games ever made.
Gyokuran
yo what up

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeworld 2 has better gameplay then homeworld but the single player isnt nearly as good.
Sensei Ramirez

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with American McGee's Alice being up there. It had potential, but the Wonderland Woods part killed the game for me. I was told that the later levels were a lot better but I didn't have the patience to sit through those levels when I could be playing something... well, fun.

As for my contributions...

Little Big Adventure 1 & 2 - 2 very good 3rd person adventure games. The first game was let down by the save system. The computer autosaved your progress, so that if you lost lives or used up some items you didn't need to use, they were gone for good. I keep meaning to play it through to the end, but the save feature really kills the experience for me. Other than that, it was a beutifully rendered game world, with a variety of different places to visit. The second second game fixed the save problems that were in the first, and also introduced a fully 3D outside environment. Interiors were still isometric and pre rendered.

Uprising - A combination of an FPS and RTS, and it was actually pulled off very well. Rather than viewing the raging battles from the sky, you are there in the middle of them taking part in the fighting from your Wraith (I think) tank. Bases can only be built in certain areas, and there is also a limit on the buildings that can be built there, so you need to think about what you really need. The 4 unit types you can deploy are Infanty, tanks, fighter planes and bombers. All are teleported in 'star trek' style when you call on them. If your base is attacked while you are away, you can take over your 'Citadel' tower, to repel any attackers. This is the command centre or your base, and has a huge gun on the top of it. Missions were generally of the type 'destroy all enemies', but they were all enjoyable, generally requiring different approaches to attack. When you completed a mission, you were paid which could be spent on a number of things. You could upgrade units, buy new weapons for the Wraith or upgrade existing weapons, or upgrade base structures so turrets were stronger, or the K-Sat (instant death cannon type thing) charged a lot faster.

That will do for now
S T E E L

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freespace 2!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember uprising, great game, and you got the power to drop anvils out of the sky when you completed it.

As for other games, fallout 1/2. One of my favourite RPG’s ever yet I don’t actually know anyone else whos played it.
Sensei Ramirez

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone loves the Fallout games. I especially liked wasting the entire population of Vault City in the second game. Most satisfying bit was killing the bitch of a First Citizen.

Glad theres another Uprising fan out there too. It's a shame I never got hold of the sequel... in fact, I might dig up the game later and play it again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogo Sort wrote:

Grim Fandango - 3D Adventure - Everyone and his brother has heard this one and how great it's supposed to be, but only about eight people in the world bought it, and six of them worked on the game. Since people have been going on and on about this one for years, I'm not going to say anything more about it, other than, "Yes, it really is that good." Go get it. I think Lucasarts has a bunch of copies of this one sitting around inside their "Unsold copies of Star Wars: Force Commander" warehouse block. Try www.lucasarts.com.

I second that. Grim Fandango is an awesome game.
yo what up

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spazz wrote:
Freespace 2!

DIVE DIVE DIVE HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!
Spazz
S T E E L

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Command wants your opinion, they'll promote you to admiral. Now shut up and focus!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: