Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hamachou Island

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia
View previous topic View next topic
ftr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Hamachou Island Reply with quote

Hey guys

First off - holy crap, this place is still here? And active? You guys rock.

Second - I recently got my DC and a VMU up and running, and playing Skies... I noticed this site still hosts the files for Hamachou Island DLC, and I was wondering - considering I doubt I'll be able to get my DC online, and I don't have a memory card with a pc connection, what is my best plan of attack for getting the DLC? I hear tale of a disk method mentioned in various places, but not in any great detail....
Dao2-SKP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heyho,

Sorta active Razz I think the disc your talking about is the dream explorer.

http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmutool/release/about/?lg=&menu=

I think it already has it on there?
ftr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info - I will investigate it when I get home!
Dao2-SKP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any luck?
ftr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried yet! I'm a while out from being able to get to where it will be anyway, just got to Yafutoma. I will report back when I give it a shot Smile
ftr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for th link, it worked! Hamachou Island and Giant Looper are now in my game Very Happy
Dao2-SKP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome ;p You can do final cupil now too ^^
ftr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dao2-SKP wrote:
Awesome ;p You can do final cupil now too ^^

Yup, looking forward to it Smile

Took me some time to find the files on the disc, but once I did it was a very straight-forward copy to VMU and the game did the rest.

I wonder how much info is actually on those downloads... given the tiny amount of memory on the VMU, I would assume the islands/weapons/giant looper are in the game already, and they're just needing a "pass" to unlock them.

Edit: on a related note, my cockatiel did NOT like it when I went to hamachou island... the chirping drove him nuts and he shrieked the whole time I was there!
Dao2-SKP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the DLC is actually completely downloaded. I mean it was free afterall, no sense in adding it later via a download that a lot of people didn't have access too. Small as the VMU is the actual dlc is quite small as well ;p
Sir Bobbington

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that the downloadable files are actually downloaded. If I remember correctly, each file is 4 blocks, which equates to 2KB each (200 blocks = 100KB). Phantasy Star Online included the ability to take screenshots and save them to the memory card, and one 640x480 screen capture took up like 150 blocks.

The files are probably only to present the message that displays to prompt you to apply the DLC to your game. Converted to ASCII, 2,048 bytes would easily fit on like 2 sheets of printed paper. That's enough code for a text string and some functionality code, but the models, scripts, and bitmaps involved in the DLC would be several megabytes at a minimum. The DLC is already on the disc, and the "actual" DLC just unlocks it.

As for WHY you had to use the online mode to unlock something that was already on the disc, I can't help you. Sega had a good thing going by making the first online-capable game console, but I don't think they knew what they wanted to do with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: