Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Small Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia
View previous topic View next topic
Alshain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: A Small Project Reply with quote

Hello, all, I'm new around here. This site seems like a pretty established SoA fan group so I thought I'd announce that I'm working on a small SoA project.

Basically, I'm making a small networked SoA-themed game, with the server that I'm making, hopefully able to host maybe 10-20 players at a time. I'm here to see if anybody would be interested in joining the project.

Here are a few details:

I'm using the Panda3d game engine, along with the Twisted framework to deal with all the networking needs, connected to a MySQL DB to handle the player data and log in info. I'm considering using wxPython for designing the GUI. I'm using Blender to design any models needed and Gimp for the 2d art.

Player collisions will be handled by the engine, however I'll be using ODE for physics simulation where the ships are involved. Using ODE isn't actually essential, since SoA-esque ship movement can be accomplished with the Panda engine by itself, but I'd like to play with ODE and so the ships will be physics enabled.

As of right now, I have tiny tiny server written that has been able to establish a connection with my client and exchange datagrams. The client can render the world and I have an orbiting third person camera and first person camera, with ability to switch between the views. Player collisions are working as well (no walking through walls yay). I actually should move all the player movement handling over to the server side, but right now I'm playing with models.

So yup, that's the news. I'd be happy if there were anybody interested in joining up, whether they're experienced or not. I, myself, am completely self-taught and have never taken any classes in programming, art, 3d modeling, or anything, so I won't turn away anybody inexperienced. All you really need is the willingness to do a whole lot of reading and research.

The idea is that whoever might join the team can get on TeamViewer/Skype and I'll brief us all on how to use the Panda engine, what work has been done so far, and just basically teach everything I've learned so far about game development. Once everybody is on the same page, things can start rolling a lot more quickly.

Again, I'm using:

Panda3d
Twisted
wxPython
NetBeans
Blender
Gimp
Open Dynamics Engine
MySQL

All of these programs are free and have pretty lenient licenses. If you have any questions or anything, please ask! This is a small hobby project, so I'm pretty laid back on the progress being made, but with just me working on it things get pretty overwhelming.
Alshain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an official design document written out for this game and at this stage I'm still pretty flexible as to what the end product will be, especially if new (plausible) ideas come up. But I'll detail what I have in mind, starting with the most unattainable goals first.

The genre will be a multiplayer adventure, combining on-foot dungeon puzzles with ship to ship combat. Money will be put into the economy via the dungeons and the treasure will have to be transported back to town. This game mechanic will couple dungeon running and pvp together since the chance of piracy shows itself in hijacking treasure hunter's boats going home.

The main feature of the game will be ship to ship combat and most of the effort should be put into refining this gameplay. Although gathered materials will eventually be needed to build the ships, gold will have to be spent on licenses/charters/some other item that needs gold in order to act as a money sink and combat inflation.

Not sure if hand to hand combat will be implemented while its just me working on this since there's already a lot to cover.

Ships can be built solely with materials gathered from the boat's continent of origin and more advanced upgrades will require materials from multiple continents.

The short term goal, however, is just to establish the bare essentials for setting up a ship fight. The very first operational server will likely just put all players on a plain island with a number of ships immediately available to them and the ship battles taking place in the local area with no extra features or content. There will be no gold or materials to gather, and maybe one or two ship types to choose from. The idea is to test battle mechanics and make sure the game is fun and playable before fleshing out all of the other less essential features.

The ship fighting will be in real time as opposed to SoA's turn-based system and the skill of fighting will lie primarily in timing and maneuvering your boat.

Take for instance two albatrosses fighting. Both of their ships have cannons that can only fire out their sides, which means a ship will have to maneuver in order to obtain a broadside against the other while simultaneously denying the same from the opponent. Added to the fact that the ships can fly above or duck below and then list their ships means they can attack upwards and downwards as well, which adds to the depth of combat.

As for the Valuan ships, their turrets can give a considerable advantage over the other fixed-cannon ships, so I have a number of ideas to balance them against the other continents. One would be to reduce the accuracy of the cannons, another to nerf the cannon's tracking speed accordingly or boost the speed of other boats in relation to Valua's. Nerfing Valua's damage wouldn't be a considerable option seeing as how their cannons obviously look superior and boosting other nation's ship defenses seems silly in the face of Valua's armor plating.

So the resulting gameplay will be a sort of laid-back, twitch-based combat that requires a bit of spatial and situational awareness. The idea is to control your speed, heading, and elevation to broadside the enemy while the enemy's guns haven't been brought to bear, whether it be to attack the enemy's front or rear from the same elevation or attack downward or upward by changing elevation and tilting your entire ship to point your guns at them.

There likely will be only 1 human player controlling each ship, since it would be tough to test my code in-game if I need to fill multiple crew positions at the same time and I'm not sure how many beta testers I can find for this project. I'm really interested in dividing ship systems to require more than one player to run a boat but it's very unlikely. I don't anticipate this to be a very popular game and so it will only annoy the people who *are* playing if they can't put together a full crew.
Dao2-SKP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything ever come of this Surprised Haven't seen till now but sounds fun Smile
Alshain

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, still working, development has changed engines to Unity3d.
Dao2-SKP

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool Smile any vids?
Alshain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just 1 at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GLzHu9my2Q
Alshain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be the habit that it'll take about 1 year before Dao2 or I respond to each other on this thread haha.

...guess I'll just wait here.

*refresh*
Dao2-SKP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah just a couple weeks Razz not sure why i didn't see your response before sorry Sad

looks fancy btw nice work! is that an imported game model?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: