Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RUMOR of Skies of Arcadia sequel in EGM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia
View previous topic View next topic
Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treilance wrote:
We should give Sega an ultimatum, make a Skies Sequel or be forced to watch an entire Evangelion Marathon. The whole freaking series, plus Death and Rebirth, then End, followed by the Rebuild Movies. It'll get results...trust me.

I sat through that once. It was hell. I think we could do that... either that or we could force them to play some of there more recent Sonic games.
Sir Bobbington

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be quite honest, i'm not sure if a sequel to SoA is a good idea at the moment.

IF it is relesed, I'd say there's a 90% chance it'll be released for the Wii. And Sega will want to "upgrade" it. Meaning that a great deal of the strategy found in a turn-based RPG will disappear and turn into rhythm based mini games. Frankly, I think that would ruin the series.

What made Skies great wasn't its stunning graphics and unique style of gameplay. Skies was a great game because of its immersive storyline and world, deep characters, and the satisfaction of strategizing to truly master the game. Game developers have lost faith in these characteristics. They want multiplayer. They want cutting edge physics and graphics. They want to keep up with the latest fads in game development, no matter what the cost.

Look at the Sonic series. Back in their day, they were innovative because they had a unique charisma and flair. Sega used him as their mascot to carry them through the 90's with record success. But, fast forward to the Dreamcast and Sonic Shuffle. Party games were all the rage, and sega tried to adapt Sonic to this trend. What we were left with was a bland, generic board game simulation with Sonic's face slapped on it. Since then, they have continually tried to "upgrade" sonic, and nearly all of the games released since Sonic Adventure 2 just weren't as good as the classics. Do we really want the same to happen to Skies?

If you want a sample of what Skies II might be, take a look at the current trends in video games. We have Fallout 3 -- A vast world open for exploration and experimentation and adorned with top-notch graphics and physics, but a very weak sense of character depth or story. We have the Halo and Gears of War series -- fast and furious games with a pathetically short story because the developers were too concerned with multiplayer. And finally we have Guitar Hero, which is nothing but a rhythm-based party game.

Now ask yourself--Do you really want Skies of Arcadia II to be any of this? My answer is no.

Good things come to those who wait.
Kyyp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there were a SoA game anything like fallout 3 I think I would be pretty okay with that.
Also multiplayer airship battles are the most fun thing ever.

Edit: Also, there will never be a SoA2
LumensAquilae
I get by with a little help from my friends

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy Bethesda's Skies of Arcadia 2.

Also all of the 'next-gen' Japanese rpgs that have been released in the past few years look really dumb. As much as I'd love to see SoA again, it'd either be all anime'd up like that one VC game or it'd be that weird-ass pseudo-real Japanese style that usually looks really strange.
The Amigo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the quality of Valkyria Chronicles, I'm confident that they can make a great SoA2. They opted for the "anime'd up" style for VC, but I don't think they're going to apply that to every game they develop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> Skies of Arcadia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: