Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

draw every day SOAworld edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic View next topic
Gyokuran
yo what up

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: draw every day SOAworld edition Reply with quote

Atleast one other person was interested in doing this so I'm posting a topic.

Draw something every day, even if it looks like ass. Then give feedback on what other people have posted. Maybe in time all our stuff won't look like ass. If you learn or find something useful, post it here.

To make drawing something every day easier, every day I'll post a reference image to draw.

I've got an old graphire 3 I've never used, I'm trying to force my self to learn how to use it.

Used the first GIS for "dramatic lighting face" as a reference on the last one, but it still looks off. I feel like its lacking a sense of depth.

edit: i hate waffleimages

Last edited by Gyokuran on Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:18 am; edited 3 times in total
Gyokuran
yo what up

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this post from SA pretty useful.

Locus wrote:
LONG RAMBLING TEXT TIME! ABOUT DRAWING!

One of the things you learn in figure drawing class is the gesture drawing, where you quickly capture the forms and weight of a person, rather than carefully putting together separate pieces. It's an extremely valuable lesson that applies to other areas. That's one of the main things you have to learn at the start of drawing - ignore what you think should be there, and draw what is there. Faces are one of the hardest things because your brain is set up to interpret signals, emotions, personality, and intent above all else. You look at a face and see symbols interacting with a human mind. It takes a lot of effort to turn that off and see the angles and structure of the face, and how everything fits together as a whole.

When most people draw a face, they'll start with the outline, draw an eye, a nose, and a mouth. All of the features will be simplified, and even if they're looking at a photo or a person in front of them, the individual pieces will be what they think "an eye", or "a nose" looks like. After a lot of drawing from life - cups, fruit, random junk, people, etc, you'll get over that, and think much more about the structure of objects. Instead of a flat surface, you'll "see" your drawing or painting as a three dimensional space while you're working in it.

For me, drawing and painting is exactly like sculpture. Block things out, find the curves, weight, rough structure, push and pull surfaces, and refine:

No I did not mean to draw the guy from Law & Order: SVU somewhere in there.

tl;dr version: Draw a bunch of stuff from life. Also draw a lot, like every day.

tried following this. I feel like I cant find the right brush and settings to use in photoshop.

Reference Image #1: Some dude's face

Draw it, paint it, whatever.

Here's my try at it.
LumensAquilae
I get by with a little help from my friends

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started working on this the other night. Inspired by Kyyp's flash thing overlooking the city.

It is still looking rough, and I went from my laptop to my desktop and that really made things look off. My laptop is much darker, so when I loaded it up suddenly everything was washed out.

Anyway I'm trying to nail clouds. How to paint them and show volume and light shooting through them and such. I've only worked on the bottom left so far until I can really nail it.

The idea was to have the top of a building peaking out from the top of the clouds, but right now it doesn't really read that way. Looks like a desert with some low lying fog and a spire.

I was wanting to do more square towers and such but it'd look like ass unless I can figure out how to nail the perspective first.

Eh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Skies of Arcadia World Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: